• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sexing question

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Well, admittedly, that's more of a guess than an empirical value. I've seen many claim they can probe earlier, and then the results tend to show a 50-50 accuracy, meaning they're really no better than flipping a coin. The smaller the tegu, the smaller the difference between sexes when probing, therefore the greater the inaccuracy. However, beings as I don't probe and can tell much earlier just by looking....

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was just curious since people claim probing is so accurate. I wish I could tell by looking. I'm just not experienced enough to look at those little tiny scales!

elmo

sex elmo 2.jpg
sec elmo.jpg

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Rule of Thumb when posting photos for sexual identification: if we can't see the fingerprint on your thumb, then neither can we see what we need to in order to sexually identify your animal.

And I agree Laura, I see many claim to be so accurate, that they can do it at 6 months or so....and then later they turn out to be quite wrong. Part of the problem is that it is so easy to not get the probe properly positioned. Then there's being able to read the depth accurately. For me, I have a set a probes and got sick of using them when they (or perhaps more accurately, I) turned out to be less reliable and more work than simply looking.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles was probed at purchase. They tried to do 'comparison ' probing as they had never done tegus before. (They had multiple tegus and compared probe results). Now I'm watching for visible signs of correct probing result. (Male) ... looking for jowels and for these elusive " bb's " i keep hearing about. Tried to feel for them but still unsure :/ he is 25" now. I'm hoping he's a male. I do love those jowels/cheeks :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu