• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sexing Argentines?

povmichael123

5 Year Member
I was wondering how do you go about sexing an Argentine Tegu. I want to know what to look for besides size and head shape for when my store gets the babies!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you talking about a hatchling or adult? If you're talking about a hatchling
Bobby is the expert on that. He's able to probe them and be 90% accurate. Our herp vet said he won't probe them until they're at least 6" snout to vent, maybe 3 months old. They're so small it's very risky.

Adult males have jowls and bumps near the vent.
http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279&highlight=sexing

Schnab

5 Year Member
How old do they have to be before you can feel the bumps near the vent? Cose I'm starting to think that mine's a female.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At about 2 feet long. It'll become more obvious as they get older.

But probing, by a person experienced in probing lizards, would let you know the sex a bit earlier. The problem is finding a herp vet, experienced in probing, that will do it for you.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Well Bobby what do you think? This seems to be a hot topic since you created this site. Can would you please dig through you pics and show us the scale vent pattern on males versus females. I want to learn how to somewhat sex a tegu without probing or waiting for ever looking for buttons or feeling for bumps.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't recall saying there is a vent pattern in babies, the only ways to tell are head shape (sometimes hard to tell), probing and in high contrast reds the bright red feet, or waiting on them to get big enough to feel/see the buttons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me