• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Selling house with Reptile collection

TURTLE75

5 Year Member
I'm getting ready to put my house on the market and was wondering if anyone has done this with a large collection of Reptiles. Luckily they aren't spread through out my home. I do have a "bonus" wing that I built onto my garage that's thermostat controlled for all of my reptiles etc. It's a great room, but I don't really want strangers to have access to this building without me present. I know that the addition is a great selling point. Not sure what to do. Should I find a heated storage facility near my home? Kind of stumped here and welcoming any and all advice.

the enigma

I had to do this about 4 months ago. I wasn't to crazy about it either. I just turned the lights off and told the realator to spend a minimum amount of time in there. At the time I didn't have much of a collection. Just my blue tongued skink and my Tegu. (at the time)

G

Finding a temporary home for your reptile is a good idea. First you do not want anything to happen to your reptiles. Second, having reptiles in your house or garage will turn off a lot of people. Staging home home will help it sell. Finding a buyer looking for a reptile room is very rare. It is like having a built in fish tank. I may look really great but most people do not want to deal with it. A lot of people even board there dogs or cats while selling there house. Some people think having an animal means your house is dirty or has hidden piss. In this market you may need to do everything you can to get the best price for your house.

TURTLE75

5 Year Member
This wouldn't be so much of an issue if I only had a couple critters. Presently I have over 20 snakes, lizards, frogs and turtles/tortoises. This is my first time selling a home. I always rented before...Easy out. My home itself has all hardwoods and no sign of pets what so ever. The reptile building is tiled and doesn't smell unless somebody takes a dump, pukes etc. I was just wondering if anyone has relocated their collection temporarily and what they did. Thanks for the input guys.

G

I moved from one state to another with a large collection. I put all my snakes and larger in bags or pillow case. These where then placed in closed boxes with holes. This keeps it dark so they will be more relaxed and secure in case they get out of the bags. All of the smaller reptile where kept in there cages with tape lids or put in small plastic containers. They were covered with a sheet to keep it dark. Since it is summer you will want to keep the transport vehicle form getting to hot and keep direct sun exposure off of them. Also make sure cold air does not blow at the animals. If it is a short trip then I would not worry about heat. A cooler reptile (not cold) will be less active. Also turning off the heat and hour or two before transport will help. Then it is a matter of moving there setups. If you have any sensitive animals I would recommend not moving them. Including anything with eggs. When I moved it was into my dads house for a month while my house was being finished. We also moved fish and mammals. Everything turned out fine without any problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu