• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Seeeming slugggish?

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
Well the last few months my B&W has been real slow, and sluggish. I have him under UVB and temps are all correct. He gets calcium and vitamins regularly just like all my other reptiles and amphibians. My concern is that I got him in mid august and he's only about 16-20" from head to tail. He's got a nice fat tail base, and is nice and round, but doesnt seem to be growing, or have much energy at all. He's burrowed for most of the day and has a poor appetite.

I know they hibernate, but is this normal behaviour?

If I boost the temps, and feed more often will this help?

I just want him to be as healthy and happy as possible.

Thank you,
Nick

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Common signs of hibernating and/or brumating, if hes up at all and feeding some which he seems to be, hes in brumation. His appetite will be VERY slowed down, if eating at all, and he will always be tired, or burrowed alot. I would not worry at all as this is 100% normal at this time of year, give him another month or two and he will be active and eating like crazy.

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
Sounds awesome. He's in a 40 breeder right now, but before spring hits I am going to build him a 6x3x3. This should last him until next year when I move out and can give him all the space he needs. :)

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Good plan, the 6x3 will last him a good amount of time, glad my parents allowed an 8x4 inside our house :D

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
Do you use the 8x4 as furniture? I mean keeping it basicaly a box, and then maybe putting a storage unit on top, or making it some kind of desk? Or is it on a stand?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me