• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Screen lid cage

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
is this ok for a baby for like a few months while i finish building the big cage, because i know it doesn't hold humidity very well, but i can't find anything cheap or large enough that does. i would just have to spray in it more and the water bowl could give humididty.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
akward_silence91 said:
is this ok for a baby for like a few months while i finish building the big cage, because i know it doesn't hold humidity very well, but i can't find anything cheap or large enough that does. i would just have to spray in it more and the water bowl could give humididty.

When I had to use a screen lid for a while, I insulated most of it with tinfoil (and at one point, a piece of plywood.)

It did a fairly good job keeping it a bit extra humid, and it held the heat in. It did a better job keeping the temps up than it did the humidity, though.

Oh, and I sprayed 2-3 times a day at least :p

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
When I had to use a screen lid for a while, I insulated most of it with tinfoil (and at one point, a piece of plywood.)

It did a fairly good job keeping it a bit extra humid, and it held the heat in. It did a better job keeping the temps up than it did the humidity, though.

Oh, and I sprayed 2-3 times a day at least :p
We do that with most of our glass tanks. Aluminum foil does a great job of keeping the humidity in. I covered the aluminum foil with black duct tape for a more professional appearance. I leave a square open for a heat lamp and another square opening on the other side with a removable flap to adjust humidity for shedding (slide the flap over a little for adjustment).

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That sounds like a good idea...I just might have try putting duct tape on it...would keep it together better as well!

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
is this a good one? I found it and it doesn't have a screen top. its wooden. (btw, this cage may be at most used for 6 months)
011502010304011612200806172403046c4.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It could use more mulch to burrow in.

You'll need both UVB and heat. A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) will give you UVB and heat but it might not provide the proper basking temp, depending on the distance it is from the Tegu. I use Halogen bulbs (from Wal-Mart or Home Depot) for heat and Zoo-Med ReptiSun 10 tubes for UVB. The tubes cover the length of the tank, or a 4ft tube will cover much of a full size enclosure.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
well, this is just a photo of a cage from the last owner i might be buying from, so i would change it to my liking. and the bulbs i can get, but actually, i have been thinking and it doesn't look like there is much room to put a bulb. and for that matter, two. maybe i can modify it a little.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029