• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Scarce Availability of Blue Tegus

reachsam

Does anyone know where to find a regular Blue Tegu breeder? It is very difficult to find this animal in a regular supply, in contrast to the other kinds of Tegus. Why is this specialty so rare? They are slightly smaller and more suitable to keep in tanks that are no longer than 6 feet long!

tora

It is because they are illegal to import, whereas the others aren't. The original handful that was imported was on accident, mixed in with a bunch of colombians. So, it is my understanding that all the blue tegus in the US as of today are pretty much bred from those original few. They're pretty, but I don't like the idea of them having such.. similar blood, if you know what I mean.

Edit: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?10181-Baby-Argentine-Blue-Tegus-for-sale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?10181 ... s-for-sale</a><!-- m -->
They might have some.

reachsam

Tora, why particularly they that are made illegal?!?!
Also, is their genetic similarity the cause for the slightly smaller size???

tora

It's not illegal for them to be here, it's just illegal to gather them up in their natural habitat and get them here. It's like how it is in Australia, it's illegal to export from there, but we still manage to have skinks here.
& no, I think in the wild they're smaller as well. Not 100%, might have to ask someone that's done more research.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are native to Argentina, where exportation laws are very very strict...

They are rare to find int he wild also...

The were introduced to the Pet Trade by a small number (6~8) being inported a number of years ago. All of them in the Pet Trade today are decendants of those few...

It is likely that the few that were originally imported were siblings... and much inbreeding has taken place in the hobby to keep them around... I'm not going to be bold enough to say they are smaller in size due to inbreeding, but smaller size is a common result of inbreeding depression...

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I hope to breed ours again next Summer. Hatch in October.

Hey,dave i been looking into blues for a while so if you breed yours again next year let me know please, i have seen some of your baby blues and they are beautiful! So after i get my normal b&w this summer if i can convince my mother for another i will definitely get one from you!

Omega

5 Year Member
2011 will be a big year on blue tegus coming out of brazil. a friend of mine in germany is getting 10 farm raised blues. so I think more imports farm raised blues will hit the USA this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hweikel