• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

room sized cage ???? anyone????

argus333

5 Year Member
anyone on hear have a room sized cage? im about to build one that will be 8ft x 7ft. it will be more of a pen then a cage. im going to use sheets of melomine for easy of cleaning. it will be a big box with small gate for me to get in and out to clean. and a seperate 3ft x 8ft tortoise pen up top.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
that sounds awesome. is it going to be an outside cage? dont forget to post pics of it!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would line the bottom surfaces (that hold the substrate) with vinyl flooring (over plywood) and seal the corners with silicone. Once the melamine is scratched moisture will get through and make the particle board swell, causing more damage.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i was thinking of that, like using a linolium floor panels. good thing is it is for my rhinos and they like it pretty dry, ive never seen the female drink in 6 yrs. they have just a small water bowl, so moisture isnt a real big problem i made a tortoise pen a yrs ago with the floor panels over plywood and it worked great. pen lasted 12 yrs. this cage will be indoors. thanks

argus333

5 Year Member
well its pretty much done. im still working and changing lighting but it is built and came out great. big cage is 10ftx 12ft and tortoise pen is 8ft x 3.5 ft with 2ft extra for sleeping quarters. some step by step pics.
DSCN0430.jpg

room before cage just painted...
DSCN0432.jpg
built before turtle pen
DSCN0434.jpg
and pen.

DSCN0443.jpg
lights

argus333

5 Year Member
i usually hate this time of year but for once i was happy to bring the gang inside although the turtles are still going out for 4 hrs a day, all seem to be happy in new homes.
DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

argus333

5 Year Member
i usually hate this time of year but for once i was happy to bring the gang inside although the turtles are still going out for 4 hrs a day, all seem to be happy in new homes.
DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg
all ready
DSCN0452.jpg
all in

DSCN0472.jpg
and happy

Beasty

5 Year Member
:shock:
THAT is just too awesome!
Boy you really got my wheels spinning about my enclosure to come!
I too have a spare room AND my bedroom is about the same size as my living room only different arrangement. I'll need 2 like that before it's over so yeah. Hmm...how much did you wind up spending on all that if you don't mind sharing. I'm thinking my next bonus is going to be shot already on some such! :mrgreen:

argus333

5 Year Member
yes i went with melimene, and vinal flooing. but one of the goals i had with this cage was to make it out of recycled materils, i got the melimene from a office building that they were redoing all of this was going to the garbage. the vinal flooring i got at home depot in the $5 bin not really recycled but close. and the caulk i had to buy, the 2x3 i had here from another project. all cost me about $40 including paint for walls wich was also in the $5 bin. but i did price it all out before i made cage and it came to around $250 wich is pretty cheap for such a large cage. i stayed away from the whole glass thing to expensive and plexi scratches to easy so i came up with the pen idea. if u need any help let me know this was so easty to make.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Wow alot larger than I thought it would be, the animals should like it, just add a TV on animal planet and they should be set!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan