• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Roni my Rhino

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks really good and so does the enclosure. Are you still using a humidifier?

RobK.

james.w said:
He looks really good and so does the enclosure. Are you still using a humidifier?

yes . but i am keeping his humidity just a little lower than before 45-55 day , 60 night .

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is so awesome! He's getting huge! You've done such a great job with him. Makes me want one :)

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Awesome Video! Hold old is your Rhino Again?

Maro1

he hatched out sept 2010 . so he's 15 months .

teguboy77 said:
Dang robk your rhino is getting big,glad to see its getting healthy keep up the great work.

thanks

he is having another great day .:) he also getting even very very tame . I have become very attached to this little guy . tons of time and money into him . not sure how long he is , i know he slowed way down while he was sick . The vet told me to leave him alone for three months :huh: as he was mean there . He does not have a mean bone in his body , he just hated them . she also said to feed him every other day , now that its winter . She's nuts !! now way i was ging to cut back on his food , he was skinng as a bone when i got him back . she kept his temps too low, and did nothing for humidity and he was also dehydrated when i picked him up . I am feeding him as much as he will eat and plenty of treats . I know he's gained a bunch since i got him back .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i feed my rhino everyday,and if he dont want to eat as much that day well thats on him but at least he'll be able to eat as much as he wants,and trust me hes a darn pig loves to eat lol.Also mine is 13 months cause he was born october 2010 and is 27'' 1/2 it seems as if hes filling out even more my guy lol.
RobK. said:
Maro1 said:

Maro1

teguboy77 said:
Dang robk your rhino is getting big,glad to see its getting healthy keep up the great work.

thanks

he is having another great day .:) he also getting even very very tame . I have become very attached to this little guy . tons of time and money into him . not sure how long he is , i know he slowed way down while he was sick . The vet told me to leave him alone for three months :huh: as he was mean there . He does not have a mean bone in his body , he just hated them . she also said to feed him every other day , now that its winter . She's nuts !! now way i was ging to cut back on his food , he was skinng as a bone when i got him back . she kept his temps too low, and did nothing for humidity and he was also dehydrated when i picked him up . I am feeding him as much as he will eat and plenty of treats . I know he's gained a bunch since i got him back .

Glad hes doing great im really happy for him and you cause you give him great care.Also i think if your rhino was born in september 2010 it would be 14 months i think lol.If i were you i would feed him what you been feeding him your heats good diet etc.My rhino is alittle less active but not much lol,being its winter.My guy also is getting huge lol,there getting big our rhino's its awsome how we keep giving updates on how everybody rhino's are growing.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
Maro1 said:

Maro1

teguboy77 said:

thanks

Well glad to hear hes doing better,you take great care of your rhino.If i were you i too would feed him every day the way hes use to you feeding him,hes still young and growing if he dont want to eat as much that day then that will be up to him,but at least he'll have the option.Also if your rhino was hatched in september he would be 14 months old i think lol.I feed my rhino everyday and even though its winter hes alittle less active but still eats like a horse lol and my rhino is 13 months old cause he was hatched october 2010 by rob ehrig.Its asome how everybody that has a rhino shares updates on them i enjoy reading them.

Well glad to hear hes doing better,you take great care of your rhino.If i were you i too would feed him every day the way hes use to you feeding him,hes still young and growing if he dont want to eat as much that day then that will be up to him,but at least he'll have the option.Also if your rhino was hatched in september he would be 14 months old i think lol.I feed my rhino everyday and even though its winter hes alittle less active but still eats like a horse lol and my rhino is 13 months old cause he was hatched october 2010 by rob ehrig.Its asome how everybody that has a rhino shares updates on them i enjoy reading them.

RobK. said:
Maro1 said:

Maro1

teguboy77 said:

thanks

he is having another great day .:) he also getting even very very tame . I have become very attached to this little guy . tons of time and money into him . not sure how long he is , i know he slowed way down while he was sick . The vet told me to leave him alone for three months :huh: as he was mean there . He does not have a mean bone in his body , he just hated them . she also said to feed him every other day , now that its winter . She's nuts !! now way i was ging to cut back on his food , he was skinng as a bone when i got him back . she kept his temps too low, and did nothing for humidity and he was also dehydrated when i picked him up . I am feeding him as much as he will eat and plenty of treats . I know he's gained a bunch since i got him back

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Rhino

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sweeeeet....makes me even more anxious to get my new place set up so I can get one, yours look great, nice and plump and healthy, that setup looks good too nice and simple

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Rob, How do you like the cage with the mesh instead of Glass? Advantages ? Disadvantages?

Maro1

I wanted more air flow . I have it set up where i can cover half the cage to increase humidity and heat if needed . Half is covered right now . Not sure what caused his problems . I did have indoor outdoor carpet and high humidity but i tried to keep the carpet clean and rotated it every other day . but he go a bad running nose , i raised the head removed the carped his runny nose stopped , then days later his problem started . so i went with tile and rubberised mess in front that will not hurt his nose . It was very cheap at Lowe's . comes in green or black and it very very strong . It is a little harder to keep the humidity high , but i keep it at 55 +/- during the day and when the light go off at night, it rises to the mid to high 60's . i bath and spray him more often .

I did measures him today and he's a hair over 30'' . I didn't think he grew at all while he was sick . still trying to get him to shed .

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Fifteen months that's pretty goo growth and tame! Awesome

with my rhino , once he calmed down in his new environment ( one month ) i started feeding him with a 14'' stick . at first he attacked the peace of fruit , after a week he calmly took it off the stick . Then each week i would move my hand down the stick a 1'' or 2'' until he was eating within inches of my hand . I then put a peace of fruit on my palm and he ate it . after a few weeks of this i put my hand far enough away from his basking rock that he had to step on my hand to get the fruit . I then moved my hand far enough away that he had to climb on my hand with all 4 feet to get the fruit . I then put the fruit half way up my arm and he climbed up and ate it . BINGO , and hat was it , he no longer was afraid or bit at me , or flipped his tail . I can pick him up , hold him , removed shedding skin and even trim his nail if needed and he does nothing . he is now very very calm/tame .

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Thats very cool! He will be more awesome every day.

BUT since i got him bck from the vet where they force fed him his meds . he is a little hesitant about being hand fed , but getting better . They said he was mean , wild and bit all of them . The minute i got him in the car i put a towel on the dash baord in the sun and warmed him up . he ate food right their in their parking lot . sat in my lap and was very calm . they scared the crap out of him for three weeks. i wished i would have kept him at home during the med streatment . he would still have all his tail and maybe be 100% by now . Lesson learned , NO vet will take as good of care of you pet as you , NO ONE . IMO .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029