• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rolling Over

hndrsnbrn

5 Year Member
I saw some weird behavior today and I am concerned. I offered food and Norton refused to eat. He also rolled completly over on his back and then back to his belly three times, much the way a dog looks when he is trained to roll over. Is this normal behavior? Should I be worried. Does not appear to be himself today. He has not been eating well the past few days.

AWD247

5 Year Member
I had a wild caught Nile Monitor that had similar actions and it turned out to be something was seriously wrong with it internally, Turned out to be really serious- parasites & impaction, Not trying to scare you in anyway, it could also be totally different from what I was experiencing, but Id look into it online and ask your local vet about it. It would freak me out, keep us posted. Goodluck

hndrsnbrn

5 Year Member
He has been pooping so I don't think he is impacted. I cleaned up a large poop out of his cage today. Also no problems with walking which sometimes happens when impacted. He ate a little so I don't know what is going on. I will keep watching him closly. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Lovestegus

5 Year Member
My monitor does the "alligator roll" when i hold onto his prey while hes biting on it some times. It surprised me too.. NEver heard of reptiles doing that for no reason though.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Brian, I do not know what the problem could be but when in doubt, take him to the vet.

hndrsnbrn

5 Year Member
OK I know what the problem was, he was indeed impacted. He took the largest poop I have ever seen today. It was all large pieces of Cypress Mulch. I have no idea how he could have even gotten pieces this big in his mouth. He is not fed on the substrate other than crickets that are in his cage. Once he pooped he seemed back to his old self and even ate really good. Why is he eating his substrate and should I change him to another kind of bedding. Since he seemed to pass the obstruction should I be worried? Also he he old enough to stop feeding insects? He is roughly nine weeks old. He was from the first batch of extremes from Bobby.

AWD247

5 Year Member
hndrsnbrn said:
OK I know what the problem was, he was indeed impacted. He took the largest poop I have ever seen today. It was all large pieces of Cypress Mulch. I have no idea how he could have even gotten pieces this big in his mouth. He is not fed on the substrate other than crickets that are in his cage. Once he pooped he seemed back to his old self and even ate really good. Why is he eating his substrate and should I change him to another kind of bedding. Since he seemed to pass the obstruction should I be worried? Also he he old enough to stop feeding insects? He is roughly nine weeks old. He was from the first batch of extremes from Bobby.

Wow, im glad everything is back on track for you, thats great. Maybe you should try larger susbstrate (large nuggets) that cant be eaten, mixed with a smaller safer (if eaten) susbstrate. That way the smaller substrate will hold humidity as much as possible and the larger wont be eaten, ?? Just a thought if possible.
Might want to check with everyone else if this is ok, I have a mixture myself and its working great.

hndrsnbrn

5 Year Member
I wonder if I could put him on aspen shavings. That is what I use for my blue tongue skink. If it is eaten it can be broken down more easily in the gut. Any advice?

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
hndrsnbrn said:

well bro Im glad it turned out Ok :-D like Bobby said when in doubt take it to the vet is Great wisdom :-D

Jer723

5 Year Member
i wouldnt put the little gu on aspen. because from what ive heard and own experience it doesnt old humidity well. right now for my little gu i am using eco earth/ and repti bark mix. it holds the humidity quite well. ur tegu might just be extra hungry. llol

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never had a problem with my tegus eating cypress mulch, are you using pure cypress or cypress blend? You could try a different type of substrate like orchid bark, hemlock mulch, Lizard litter, Repti-bark or eucalyptus mulch.

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
hndrsnbrn said:
I wonder if I could put him on aspen shavings. That is what I use for my blue tongue skink. If it is eaten it can be broken down more easily in the gut. Any advice?

thats what i use for ryu and nami and ive never had a problem with it

Anthony

5 Year Member
im experiencing the same problem as u and i thought i was alone... im gona whind up switching to cocunut husk or fiber whatever one is smaller .... i dnt know why my tegu eats her substrate i caught her doing this probably ten times by now and no i dont feed in her tank only crickets... i tried feeding in her tank AFTER i saw her eating substrate cause i figured she needs to have food offered to her at all times but bobby strongly advised against this so i went back to the bin switched all the substrate out and sprayed the substrate with water and vinegar (bobbys advice) and yet i still see her trying to eat it and thats with crickts in there and me offereing her ground turkey or beef liver or eggs in her bin multiple times... doesnt make sense to me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980