• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Roach Colony Pics?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Got my Dubia's today!! 50 adult males and 50 adult females! The gent even through in some nymphs for me. Hopefully their new setup is to their liking and they start making the bow chik wow wow!! :D :D

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck!!

You only need a few males to help the ladies make some feeders for you. You can feed out some of the males but you'll have to wait a few months before you have a good size colony to feed from. Of course that depends on how many you use every day/week.

I don't remember the details but I think it takes 3 months for them to mature into adults. You won't know if they're male or female until they molt into their final sex. They all look like females until then. Then there is a 30 day gestation period after they mate. So you're looking at at least 4 months before you have a third generation and then you have to wait another 2 to 3 months before you can feed off of them.

Put them in a dark place and don't disturb them if you want them to successfully mate. We clean out the babies from the adults every couple of months to reduce the times we disturb the adults. We kept a few adults with the babies (to play with) and they reproduced!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got babies!!! Who wants to see pics lol? Anyways, do I need to take out the babies and make a baby bin or is it fine to just leave them mixed in with the adults?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's OK to leave them mixed. I separate them to let them grow into feeders and let the breeders do their work. Only do it every couple of weeks to not disturb the breeders too much. We use a metal strainer to separate the babies from the debris and put them in a 10 gallon tank with a UTH.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's mine

2001662346137010077_rs.jpg

2001620761722167115_rs.jpg

erk

5 Year Member
I have B. dubia, also. I've noticed that the babies can & do climb (plastic tub) walls. I went yesterday to buy some foil tape (as recommended by Sammy's site) to use as a barrier. When I got home to put the tape on, I found my dog playing with something in the reptile room. It was a full grown male B. dubia! I don't know how the roach escaped. The holes are way too small for him to fit through. I scooped up the roach and put him back in the enclosure. Then preceded to put the tape on and make a few other modifications. I hope it works.

Below is an image taken from Sammy's site on building a roach enclosure:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sammygreggreptiles.com/re.html">http://www.sammygreggreptiles.com/re.html</a><!-- m -->

Foil.jpg

You can see the foil tape along the border of the tub. Thanks for the info, Sammy.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
the males can jump about a foot or so and flutter their wings. sometimes they escape this way!! I havent had a problem with babies climbing my tub :)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rehomed my colony today. New and bigger!! 50 quart bin from target on sale cheap! I know some people wanted to see it so here it is. I am going to use the smaller setup for my nymphs and let the adult focus on breeding.

2002705950089811431_rs.jpg

2002750799339906245_rs.jpg

2002709138924656398_rs.jpg

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
NICE!!!! Our roaches are in the boys closet. My wife would kill me if they were left out in a room.

haha yeah I guess living alone and hiding the tub behind the couch has it perks :)

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Discoids

I bought 1,000 of these guys from Sammy. A while back and they are doing great. They have all become adults now. the were half inchers when I got them.Man I got a good deal too. Sammy is the man when it comes to Discoids. Here are some pics.
Discoids003.jpg

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
I'm pretty much dumb when it comes to roaches. But it looks like to me, theres 2 different looking roaches in there harveysherps, is that just a male and female?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
No some are nymphs that haven't changed into adults. The adults have wings. they don't fly they are used more like a peacock uses his tail feathers. The males do a little dance and fan their wings when attracting a mate. I'll take some new pics of the group and post them. Sorry didn't mean to confuse.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Here are the new pics of the adults. Those other pics. Were taken when they first started turning. I have fed off several. I am going to have to ge more soon. But I have a colony seperated for breeders. Then another that is all amles that I am feeding to my Black Throats. Man they love them. They each ate 5 adult male discoids last night. They are the best feeders. No smell like with crickets. Slow breeders but can't have everything. LOL
snakes003-1.jpg

snakes002-2.jpg

snakes001.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980