• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

RIP Mojito

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am absoluted gutted! I came home last night to fine Mojito's food bowl still full. That was not normal. I found her curled upside down in the corner of the cage. She was limp and still warm but she was gone. Filling her belly it was full and a hard object could be felt. I did open her up to fine a long piece of cypress mulch had perferaded her gut.

I had just got done playing with her 24 hours before. She seemed fine and bright eyed. She ate that day before and seemed to be pooping normally.

I still can't beilive it. She was so amazing. Great to handle and calming down so well. I will miss her dearly.

Attachments

• PC240079.JPG
    PC240079.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 44

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Very sorry to hear that, man. It's an awful feeling to find an animal that you do everything in your power to keep healthy dead. For over 10 years, all I ever wanted was a beautiful baby orange-headed dumeril's monitor. I found a great cbb hatch some years back. I was so proud of it. I fed it exclusively on crab and crayfish. Spared no expense. Then, after 3 years of great growth and success, I found him dead of an impaction. Horrible. I've been there and it's IMO much worse than losing a sick or old animal. By all I've read from you here, you're one hell of a conscientious keeper, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I feel like impactions (if that's what this was) and ingestion of substrate are the most common reason for premature deaths in tegus. I'm no expert, but in my time keeping and talking to others here, it seems like the one constant boondoggle.

I generally feed whole prey to my blue almost exclusively. Large mice and dubias are about all he gets anymore. He does great on this diet and there seems to be a much lower risk of impactions. EVERY SINGLE TEGU I've owned (3) that I've fed ground meat mixed to loves to drag the mush out of the bowl and fling it all over the substrate, the commence with the feeding. I suppose you either feed supervised out of cage, feed whole prey, or assume the responsibility of helicopter feeding so you can pull mulch out of the lizard's mouth throughout the meal. Just my opinion.

Once again, sorry for your loss, Chelvis. Non-keepers will never understand what you're going through, but we do.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I am very sorry for your loss. I got rid of the cypress mulch from Gwangi's cage months ago because I was afraid that would happen with the big pieces.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks all for the kind words. I was using eco-earth but its kept molding on me so I mixed in come cypress mulch to try and help hold a borrow better and stop some of the molding. Man this just really sucks. It has made me realize that I am lucky to still gave Bosco around.

lauraj1055

I'm new to this forum, but my heart goes out to you. I lost my bearded dragon from cancer at the age of 2. It was awful. I just bought reptile bark for my new Cuban Rock Iguana I'm getting, and now this post just made me really nervous. I never use any substrate for my dragons, but I know I need it for my iguana for humidity. What else could be used? Once again, so sorry!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hweikel