• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rhino iguana!!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HEy guys i just got some pics of the rhino iguana im getting from tom crutchfield he is a beauty, im so excited i thought id share with you ll! i havnt decided on a name yet , ill wait till he gets here and then ill think of one!

2-13--3.jpg

2-13-1.jpg

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yeah they are awesome i loved them ever since i seen one at a local zoo when i was younger

cornking4

5 Year Member
They are beautiful lizards but I don't think I could ever keep one because of their aggression during mating season and the enormous outdoor enclosure they require. Have you already got it built?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
actually it will be about another 1-2 years before he will need the huge cage. i have a 75 gal all setup for him . most are not aggressive during breeding season i know of a guy who has a 7 y/o male who actually sleep in the bed with his son and is super mellow even with the kids. and they are actually slow growers

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
actually it will be about another 1-2 years before he will need the huge cage. i have a 75 gal all setup for him . most are not aggressive during breeding season i know of a guy who has a 7 y/o male who actually sleep in the bed with his son and is super mellow even with the kids. and they are actually slow growers
They are VERY slow growers! I think Rhino's grow a little faster than Cubans, that we have. We have a 17 month old Cuban/Blue hybrid, he's almost 18". He was about 12" long when we got him 1 year ago. Our 6 year old male Cuban is 39". I haven't noticed any aggression during breeding season. I don't quite trust him enough to have him sleep with us! ;)

cornking4

5 Year Member
Got it... I thought they were but I wasn't quite sure. The only reason I brought up aggression is because of friend of the herp vet (the one I'm apprenticed to) brought in his adult rhino iguana for a nail trim last month. Apparently he had adopted the rhino a couple weeks earlier and allowed him to free roam the house when he was at work... when he got home one day the iggy had staked the couch as his territory and when the owner sat on it, his rhino charged him, clawing and biting him in the face. Ten stitches and many weeks later, his face is fixed, but seeing the cuts and stitches kinda scared me off of giant iguanas (or at least letting them on my couch!)... We all had a laugh about it but it was still shocking to hear. Either way, seeing him postured on the exam table was AWESOME!! They really are beautiful animals!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
they can be very friendly like tegus from what i have read thus far but like with tegus it takes proper handling, however with any animal you always have an exeption.

cornking4

5 Year Member
We're all pretty convinced it was just the stress of being in a new environment with strange surroundings. Apparently since he was in the clinic he's calmed way down and is now a very sweet lizard.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
oh ok i see i missed the part about him being new, yeah i have a large 4'+ green iguana i got about 2 months ago and he is still aggressive but has calmed down a great deal!

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
That seems a bit unlikely that it jumped onto his face, they are fairly heavy bodied and unless if his couch is at face level I doubt that is an accurate account. That being said I have met quite a few nice rhino iguanas. What size cage are you planning on building for him?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well hopefully ill have my house this summer and i will build a 8hx6lx4d(feet) cageand will build one about the same size outside!

cornking4

5 Year Member
Believe me, I saw the stitches and it wasn't too pretty. He said he was laying down on the couch so his head was relatively close to the ground... But yeah I don't doubt his story at all.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im sorry im mistaken a rhino iguanas cage requirement is actually similar to tegus 8x4x5 so it will actually be longer than taller, and you would be surprised at how fast a large lizard can move even a heavy-bodied one!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Wow that is fantastic. I love those. Here is some video that my bf shot of us in a Rhino Iguana den in the Dominican Republic in 2007. About 4 videos are on his Youtube Channel. It was a really cool experience: http://www.youtube.com/user/chueychuey

We just got a cuban rock iguana a few weeks ago so I share in your excitement! Congratulations!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
Wow that is fantastic. I love those. Here is some video that my bf shot of us in a Rhino Iguana den in the Dominican Republic in 2007. About 4 videos are on his Youtube Channel. It was a really cool experience: http://www.youtube.com/user/chueychuey

We just got a cuban rock iguana a few weeks ago so I share in your excitement! Congratulations!!

thats awesome were did you get yours(if you dont mind me asking) they are awesome creatures i hear so much bad stuff about them but i hear more good stuff with pics to prove it lol gotta watch that video!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
reptastic said:
ashesc212 said:

thats awesome were did you get yours(if you dont mind me asking) they are awesome creatures i hear so much bad stuff about them but i hear more good stuff with pics to prove it lol gotta watch that video!

Thanks. I got mine from a random breeder at the White Plains reptile expo. Even though I paid dearly for him, I like to consider him a rescue!! The people there were just pumping out reptiles, some very sick looking. I saw the iggy and saw that it wasn't too late so I grabbed him!

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
I hate to have to be pushy, but 8 by 4 by 5 is nowhere near big enough for an adult rhino iguana. You have to understand these can reach 25 pounds and need a lot of roaming space in their cage. Here is a care sheet. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptilecare.com/cyclura-michigan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reptilecare.com/cyclura-michigan.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980