• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino drinking ??

RobK.

I have not seen my Rhino drink until today , and only when i sprayed water on the rock on her basking table . so i guess she does not use the bowl . How can i get her to drink in a bowl ?? should i get a bowl that looks like a rock and try that ?

Thanks
RobK.

G

I doubt that your Iguana knows what a rock looks like ...

I think if he likes to lap up water from his rock make it available to him ..

He knows about his water bowl and will us it as he sees fit ..

I would guess he will change dramatically in the next few months and you will learn all about what he likes and dislikes ...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have had my rhino for a few months now and have never seen him drink. I spray him once a day and leave him water in his "rock" looking bowl. I don't think what the bowl looks like matters though.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One thing you could try is place an ice cube on top of a screen right above his water bowl, i did this for my rhino/greens and chameleon, some reptiles just arent interested in still water....the ripples would attract him to the bowl...one other thing, if you mist his veggies before feeding he would be getting plenty of hydration

G

I really like that ice cube idea! I don't have iguana experience but my savy loves the movement. I use a pitcher to fill his water dish/pool and when it sees the downfall of water it always comes scurrying over to investigate. I wouldn't be too worried about it not drinking from a dish. As mentioned above if you're misting the veggies that really helps to get them hydrated. You could also try doing lukewarm baths occasionally to get some water absorption.

G

Whoops my bad, I saw your youtube videos and the dish you have out looks like it could be large enough for it to soak if it wanted to.. But if you wanted to you could always try baths anyway.

RobK.

I think the ice trick might work , she really notices moving water on the rock . I though about a waterfall but not sure if she would knock it over or not . How much water do they drink ?

I also mist her food so she gets water that way . Also i need to bring the humidity up .i got a gage today and it was only 25-30% so i have also been misting the cage too and it brings it up to 65 % but it does not last long . It been really wet lately and 65-70% out side but dry inside. I did put a humidifier in the room but its not really getting into the cage . How about a Repti fogger ??

Thanks,
RobK.

RobK.

RHETORICx said:
Whoops my bad, I saw your youtube videos and the dish you have out looks like it could be large enough for it to soak if it wanted to.. But if you wanted to you could always try baths anyway.

I give her a bath every morning while i clean out her cage and get her food ready . I was hoping the bowl would increase the humidity , but not a lot . I may replace that bowl with a bigger one with more surface area . I tried putting the ceramic heat bulb over the top of the water and it help a little too , but just 2-3% .

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They dont consume much water, as for the humidity try placing a damp towel over 1/2 of the top of the enclosure...this trick works wonderfully for humidity....I wouldnt go with the waterfall they can harbor bateria and other nasties and would have to be disinfected daily especially if your ig likes to poop in water

RobK.

reptastic said:
They dont consume much water, as for the humidity try placing a damp towel over 1/2 of the top of the enclosure...this trick works wonderfully for humidity....I wouldnt go with the waterfall they can harbor bateria and other nasties and would have to be disinfected daily especially if your ig likes to poop in water

That's funny , i just put a damp towel over half of the screened area on top , and then read you post . Going to check it in a few minute then head to bed .

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just a warning about melting ice water, with cold intolerant reptiles and some younger animals it can cause them to go into shock due to the sudden change in temp. The water coming off the ice is much colder than the room temp and also the temps in the cage. Some reptiles this works fine like tegus and monitors. There was a member on Fauna who lost some lizards from doing the ice cube trick. There are drippers you can buy to make the water drip down from a contanior, i build my own out of drip line irigation for my banded geckos.

RobK.

Thanks about the ice warnin, i will drip water in there to be on the safe side , i sure don't want my new Rhino to die . Also the wet towel trick brought the humidity up to 65% without misting the cage .:) In time the humidifier i added to the room will most likely help , But this room has no door . Its also raining today so i will what humidity level is when we get i clear weather .

hangtown530

You've probably already received this answer but you should just make sure to mist his/her greens and with the occasional fruit your rhino should have plenty of water.

turtlepunk

I once read about an idea someone used for a homemade dripper
they took a water bottle, took a pin and poked a small hole at the bottom of it and filled it up with water. Then they just placed it on top of the screen.
I thought it was clever!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I didnt even think about that, i used to do that with my first tegu nero when she was a hatchling

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029