• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino Body Temp

Maro1

Rhiniferous.jpg

Had my Rhino outside today. Man did he get active and eat twice as much as usual. Have any of you ever checked your Rhino's body temp with a Temp gun under the UVB? What are their body temps getting too? I have a feeling the outside body temps are pretty high. I'll check tomorrow

Attachments

• Rhiniferous.jpg
    Rhiniferous.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Rob what is your ambient cage temp?

it varies , 80-90 . I am still working It . its hard to get it any lower and still have the basking area warm enough . He seems to like it around 80-85 . i have seen it lower in the far side, but he never goes there and will take taps in the 85-90 deg areas and at night its 75-80 .

I used a temp gun again a few minutes ago and he was 96 in his body and his tail was 105 , He was 14'' under a 100 watt Mega-ray with a 50 watt halogen next to it .. his basking area was 110 at the time .

RobK.

when is switched from a solar-glo to the power-sun i saw a big improvement in him , now that i have a MegaRay he is even more active and no longer turns dark or almost black when he naps . :D

can't beat natural sunlight !!

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino is very active with megaray,great bulb i think a higher uvb is better for certain reptiles how much not sure.As long as my rhino getting over 50mw i'm happy.

herpgirl2510

My guy still seems very afraid since the dog inident. He just sits up high on the shelf all day and lays there he will now not even allow me to touch him. I fell bad for him I had to get a second uvb bulb for that little shelf.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The highest basking temp i ever recorded was 127, i was told in the wild it can get a bit higher, mines seemed to do better in the higher temps than if i kept his temps the same as my green

teguboy77

5 Year Member
In my opinion anything over 115f is just alittle to hot,my rhino does great at around 100f.And the breeder i got it off rob ehrig has told me i dont need temps over 100f so it works for my rhino.And again this is the way i keep my rhino and if somebody else keeps there rhino at higher temp and it works thats awsome.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i think a rhino in the wild might bask on a spot that might be over 115f but not long prolly retreat after it gets it temp up to were it wants.My rhino temps are usually between 96f and 105f and thats his basking area,his other end of the cage has a just a 30 Watt - T12 – 36inch Full Spectrum Fluorescent light no heat and that area is 80f to 85f so if he wants to thermoregulate his temperature,i feel you dont need a bunch of basking areas if your keeping him inside,even if kept outside still should have a shaded area for your reptile to get out of the direct sun.Just my opinion.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It dint bother him at all, in fact even when his basking temps was over 110* he would bask for hours on end, i think its because he ate alot and needed to digest his food properly, but his enclosure was a 75 gal, he had 1 basking spot, i used the 150 wtt solarglo, temps were between 83 and 93cool and of course anywere from 108-120* and every now and then it would spike up to 130* i got nothing but good results from keeping him like this, i know we all have differences in keeping and i respect that, just giving my experience

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i mean thats good your rhino enjoyed the high temps,mine eats like a horse everyday and my temps are between 96f to 105f and he loves it,and i had 2 other rhino a couple years back and had my temps the same between 95f 105 and they did great too.And i too respect everyones opinions and like other peoples ideas and what worked for there rhino's.

herpgirl2510

I had to have two spots now becausse he likes the top shelf so muh I hd to add heat and uvb to that area. My guy likes to climb he will race upthe 6 feet from the ground in 2 seconds if he gets nervous. He dos it alot if he is fre roaming probably testing his get away from my dogs and me :)
herpgirl2510 said:
I had to have two spots now because he likes the top shelf so much I had to add heat and uvb to that area. My guy likes to climb he will race upthe 6 feet from the ground in 2 seconds if he gets nervous. He does it alot if he is free roaming probably testing his get away from my dogs and me :)

I need an edit button sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029