• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rescue tegu help

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Tegus need whole prey. Turkey is a crappy staple item. Varied whole prey diet = inverts(roaches, crayfish, shrimp etc.), fish, rodents, birds. Any WHOLE animal. That is the proper diet.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Also yours is an argentine, and should be big enough to feed for bb's.

Attachments

• 2734389_orig.jpg
    2734389_orig.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14

lgranoth731

I should also note that it was never offered anything live before. He/she will take it roaches off tongs though. I'm trying to wean slowly as to bot cause too much stress

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Well the snout doesnt look bad from those shots. Maybe it was just the angle of 1st pic. roaches are good but definitely try something with more calcium when you feel hes ready. Is he on aspen shavings?

lgranoth731

Wanted to update you guys on how everything is going. Seems like the mystery is over and I'm mostly sure he is in fact a she. She is eating her whole prey ground turkey and various fruits like a champ. She loves her out of enclosure time and spends her time exploring. Still trying to get the stuck shed off her toes and tail that I got her with, but now she has proper humidity and good soaks :) its safe to say I'm in love with miss Xenia

Rodney Irwin

5 Year Member
Yesterday I took in a black and white tegu believed to be an Argentine. It is 26" snout to tip of tail. The problem is that he was never offered anything besides high quality grain free cat food, canned tuna, and lettuce. I cup up some apples for it and the tegu seems interested but completely disregarded it. I'm going to try ground turkey tomorrow. How hard should it be to get it eating the right food or will it only have taste for the cat food?

Rodney Irwin

5 Year Member
Hi Igranoth731,

You may want to introduce new food items to your tegu by mixing them with raw fresh eggs.
Tegus will always eat eggs and this a good way to find what they do and don't like.
After doing that you can back off on the eggs and use them as treats.

lgranoth731

Anytime I introduce a new food she gets loose stool. I'm not sure of its because its all new and her system has to get used to it or should I schedule a vet visit? So far hard boiled eggs, pear, fish, grapes, and bananas have causes soft stool.

lgranoth731

I went to take her out just now and she tried to bite me. I'm pretty sure she thought I was feeding her or I was food. I have been tong feeding her outside of the tank since she has issues getting the food off her plate. Could this be why? It's so sudden but on e she was out she's great

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980