• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptilian Giants.....AS PETS!?!?!?!?!?

ihatehumans

5 Year Member
To Laura: I don't think gators should be kept as pets. However, even though you may have bought the animal from a not responsible person AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you make arrangements about what to do with the gator in the future to give it a happy healthy life, you have my respect.
To Bobby: If what you say about glades herp is true then I hate them. I didn't see any albino lizards for sale on their website (exept leopard geckos, and they don't cost much and are nocturnal). If you saw large animals crammed in small containers at an expo, you know even the best breeders of herps such as you do this.

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Hate is a four letter word. A word that should be used with extreme caution. Being absolute in an oppinion leaves no room for open-mindedness.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have not seen GH breed or sell albino lizards (like monitors, igs, etc). Tom Crutchfield of Herps Ltd has an albino iguana breeding project going on right now...No, I don't agree with that either. I think it's cruel. Not only that, but the breeding pair they were showing seemed too small to be breeding and they were in a very small container.

I don't deal with GHerp at shows because their prices are too high for me. I was at the FIRE expo and they had a really dark B/W that reminded me of Bert's line of tegus. I talked to one of the young guys about it for a while because the tegu seemed smallish for a yearling and underweight. They weren't asking a lot for it and told me the previous owner didn't really understand how to care for it. So I guess when I say reputable, to me that means they aren't putting a front. When I've talked with them, they have been open about their animals. I've toured their facility and the animals were clean and appeared well fed.

Gosh..the worse is a place that exhibits at FIRE and I think Daytona. They are a huge exhibitor with monitors crammed into small plexi boxes and the lizards have bleeding nose rubs. It's really pathetic.

But hey, Bobby, in the end, that's why I bought my most recent tegu from you...that's a forever pet. ;)

Thanks "Idislikehumans" for your respect. I just didn't want to be thought of as someone who doesn't care for her animals.

ihatehumans

5 Year Member
As long as the animal(s) in question are well taken care of, every thing else is fine by me. I think that we should all ecucate local animal shelters about reptiles because when an animal shelter like the SPCA thats used to getting dogs and cats get things ike sulcata tortoises, burmese pythons, and iguanas their setups cause the animal to die. As the members of this forum know all too well, having something like a tegu is much different then having a mammal. Reptiles need lots of heat because they are cld blooded. Many need UV lighting to thrive. Almost all require some sort of suplement to mantain healthy bones.

By the way, aren't those of you that skim the pet section on craigslist getting really ticked off. Now it seems more of a place to post rants and raves about how you should spray/neutor animals. Recently someone posted a link to a video called "in hope", an animal shelter story. Go type it into youtube and watch it at your own risk. After it is over I realized I truely HATE humans, not "strongly dislike". I hope we all wipe ourselves out. That way, animals won;t suffer and can rebuild their population over the course of a couple thousand years or so.

hoosier

5 Year Member
I realized I truely HATE humans, not "strongly dislike". I hope we all wipe ourselves out. That way, animals won;t suffer and can rebuild their population over the course of a couple thousand years or so.

its hard to say that you "hate" the entire human race. there are people who do harm to animals and to others yes, but what about thoses people who do good in the world? do you hate them too? i too am not a big fan of what some people do but there are those striving to save animals and trying to stop the bad that some people do to them and i believe that these people should be thanked, not hated. there are those scum of the earth people i admit but Hate them. not the entire population just because of what a few people do. most of the population are fine upstanding people of our earth.
im sorry if i came off mean or anything. im just stating my opinion.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ihatehumans, first and last warning, you need to read the rules of this site before taking this road any farther:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=438&p=14526#p14526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=438&p=14526#p14526</a><!-- l -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980