• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegu Variations

Gman

Hi guys,I was wondering what difference there was between the argentine red tegu and the paraguayan red tegu. I know they're both tupinambis rufescens but their coloration tell a different story. While the argentine has dark coloration such as red and maroon, the paraguayan has lighter coloring which consists of shades of red, white, and black.

This is an argentine.

This is a paraguayan.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For me there's no difference, is it possible that one shade comes from one local or another,.. yes but what proof is there. Just because a red and white tegu was caught and or shipped from Paraguay doesn't mean that's actually where it's from. Or that they're only found in that location, meaning you'll only find red and white tegus in Paraguay. If it's more red, black and white (or what ever) then it's from Argentina.

It's not like they're logging and keeping strict records of where every animal is harvested from. Not sure if they're even selectively breeding them on farms since they're used for food and other things. I would think so to some degree but,.. eh you never know, until you go down south and talk to the folks in charge. Even then one place may not operate the same as the next.

It's just marketing tactics that some people use to make more money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980