• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

red tegu shedding issue? advice needed!!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
when pyro first arrived i noticed he was starting a new shed, but he went back under.now he has been up eating, basking ect. for a lil over a week now. i have heard about red tegus and shedding problem, but since this is my first red maybe someone more experienced could give me some advice, his body is shedding well but there seems to be a band of unshed skin around the base of his tail and it looks pretty bad to me.this has me a lil worried, have tried raising the humidity and misting him more it still hasnt shed i am going to try a warm soak if he dosnt freak out on me again! what are your thoughts on ways to prevent this? btw he has both beef liver and cod liver oil in his diet! here are some pics:

p8.jpg

p16.jpg

red2.jpg

i highlighted the problem spot in red
p16-1.jpg

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well I know my red had shedding problems with her back feet and the end of her tail but she some how was able to get it off.

isdrake

5 Year Member
Then we first got our B/W Tegu she had some shedding problems on her feet and tail. We soaked her everyday for 15-20 min and gently rubbed the skin. Eventually we managed to remove the old skin and she have never had any problem since. :p

BOOZER

5 Year Member
i've tried baby oil in the past with positive results. it being at the base of the tail, he/she is gonna hate being rubbed there. good luck!!

gboleslavsky

5 Year Member
I have an 18 M. O. Red male and have had shedding issues often, most likely because I can't maintain a steady 60-80% humidity. So what works is soaking in warn water for as long as possible (an hour is good) as often as possible. Make it as deep as needed to cover the belly and some of the back, but not deeper. Now that I found a cypress mulch store near philadelphia, I am pretty sure I won't have shedding issues with mine anymore.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i soaked him today and wilkl soak him again in the morning, i forgot about the baby oil i used to use it on my iggys years ago! worked great.