• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegu Diet?

KritterKeeper

Ok.. i just wondered why you thought they were harder to care for than a tegu..cage might need to be taller but i would think an iguana would be easier(and cheaper) as far as feeding..tegus eat a varied meat based and fairly expensive diet..if youre going for something more friendly id go with the tegu too as long as you know youll be able to afford the food bill along with meeting the rest of its specific needs.

KritterKeeper

It can be a tough decision. Im going back and forth in my head about a few reptiles i want too. Above anything else you need to be absolutely sure you can take care of it properly. I believe there are a couple people on here who feed mostly rodents but i think the majority feed mostly ground meats with fruits/veggies and a rodent once a week or maybe a couple times a week.

Yeh It's a tough decision for my first big lizard i love Lizard's not really snake guy or a gecko guy just love big lizard's something about them just make me love them and i know if i find a right diet i can take good care of a tegu and or a iguana it's been a debate in my head and all i can think of is wich one i want ill say i want a iguana then a tegu video or something tegu pop's up then ill say i want a tegu then a iguana will pop up it's like OMG

herpgirl2510

I think tegus make much better pets than iguanas they can be much more temperamental. However it is much cheaper to feed an iguana that however is not a reason to get one.

Skeetzy

If you have an adult tegu, get their coarse ground. I got it for my baby, thinking the meat would be in chunks. But the only difference I noticed is the bone chunks are a little bigger.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have an iguana that I rescued in 2008. I have worked with him for so long with minimal results. This summer he is going to a new home in S FL because he has become dangerous to us and it is not fair for him to just sit in his enclosure here. :( There are so many igs that need homes; they are truly the disposable pet of the reptile industry.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I rescued 2 last summer that I still have and 4 the summer before I rehoused to homes k could trust, it's awful, not counting the ones I didn't have the space for

Well now im debating Cause ive heard that Green Or Red iguana's can get very agressive even if tamed, but now i want a Rhino I know i can take care of all of these ive read so many books on them and rhino's dont have that breeding season agression like Greens do but it is also harder to tame rhino's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980