• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Radiant Heat Panels

Skeetzy

Probably not. Maybe as a main heat source, similar to how I use my ceramic heat emitter. But you need to provide a temperature gradient and basking spot. I don't believe heat panels provide a concentrated point of heat.

I have a Ceramic heat emitter set to a thermostat to keep my ambient temp, and then I use a spot light for a basking spot.

19cobra93

5 Year Member
Probably not. Maybe as a main heat source, similar to how I use my ceramic heat emitter. But you need to provide a temperature gradient and basking spot. I don't believe heat panels provide a concentrated point of heat.

I have a Ceramic heat emitter set to a thermostat to keep my ambient temp, and then I use a spot light for a basking spot.

I'm sure you are, but just be aware of certain spot light bulbs. They can really concentrate the light/heat in small areas and burn your Gu. I learned this the hard way with my Black Throat. I had been using the same bulbs for years without a problem, then when I switched brands to what I thought was very similar, I noticed blistering on his back in two spots, about 3 inches in diameter each. Those turned into dead skin, then later a nasty scar. I feel terrible about it.

Anyway, just a heads up, make sure the "beam" or multiple "beams" is/are spread out enough to provide equal heat throughout the length of your Tegu.

19cobra93

5 Year Member
Then consider my suggestion to be directed towards someone who's enclosure isn't set up perfectly.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a nice way to put it! Personally, I think lizards do better with an overhead light source rather than a RHP. I use RHP with my big snakes and they just don't seem to heat up enough for a basking lizard. What a bout cluster lighting with two or three smaller wattage bulbs?

apocalypse910

I use one because I'm too scared of having a CHE set my house on fire - I wouldn't use it as a primary basking source though. It does keep the ambient temps up but it does not put out nearly enough direct heat to use as a substitute for a basking bulb. They are good to supplement the cage temps at night when the basking bulb is off and in the winter when the basking bulb doesn't put out enough heat to keep the cage up to temp.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
True...it does depend on what is going on in your house. My house never gets below 67-68, so it isn't that big of a deal for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu