• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Questions on Burrowing and Humidity

Blake Doherty

I brought home my Tegu just about a week ago. He is between 10-12 inches. He is currently in a 4 ft enclosure. Basking area temp is right around 110 cool side is around 75-80 during the day. I have supplied multiple hides. I have struggled to maintain humidity above 70% i saturate the substrate at least twice a day using a pump mister. Are there any tips to maintaining humidity?
Also over the past couple days, he has spent 80% of the day burrowed, are there any tips to enticing him to come out short of digging him out? (Which I have read is not a great idea) or is this normal behavior that will come and go? I have also posted pictures of the enclosure to see if there is anything I am doing wrong that is causing him to not feel comfortable in his enclosure.

Attachments

• B8F9A1D1-A1E1-477E-9BA0-514690DD44DB.jpeg
    B8F9A1D1-A1E1-477E-9BA0-514690DD44DB.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 03A1D07C-9C6E-4402-86D4-51F37FC67E1C.jpeg
    03A1D07C-9C6E-4402-86D4-51F37FC67E1C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 14590BBD-B6F1-41E3-9E2A-CF162B1F9E9A.jpeg
    14590BBD-B6F1-41E3-9E2A-CF162B1F9E9A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27

rantology

It looks like a screened-top aquarium, correct? You need to seal off any unused space on the top to have an easier time controlling the humidity. I'm a strong supporter of cling-wrap and packing tap :D just make sure you are very carful about not putting it close to heat sources/ anywhere it could be melted. Foil could be a more heat friendly option to accomplish the same thing. Also keep an eye on the ambient temps as this also traps heat in the enclosure. Otherwise it works great, I use it on several of my vivariums and my baby Tegu's current vision cage.

Blake Doherty

It looks like a screened-top aquarium, correct? You need to seal off any unused space on the top to have an easier time controlling the humidity. I'm a strong supporter of cling-wrap and packing tap :D just make sure you are very carful about not putting it close to heat sources/ anywhere it could be melted. Foil could be a more heat friendly option to accomplish the same thing. Also keep an eye on the ambient temps as this also traps heat in the enclosure. Otherwise it works great, I use it on several of my vivariums and my baby Tegu's current vision cage.

You are correct and I sealed off one side with visqueen plastic, the other side I am concerned will get too hot to put anything on it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would say still too much ventilation allowing humidity to escape.

Burrowing alot is always part of the natural settling in period even if it is a week late..... You always find people receive their little friendly pal but once their little pal realises their whole world has been turned upside down it takes a week or 2 to become comfortable with everything.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would say still too much ventilation allowing humidity to escape.

Burrowing alot is always part of the natural settling in period even if it is a week late..... You always find people receive their little friendly pal but once their little pal realises their whole world has been turned upside down it takes a week or 2 to become comfortable with everything.
A truism of tegu keeping.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Agree with everything said....especially the screened top being the most likely prob for the humidity. I've noticed that the store-bought tegu enclosures don't have anywhere near the ventilation that you'd think they would. Small holes at the back, along with whatever escapes the glass doors.
It's good that you're thinking this through, because we've had some people on this forum recently with some shedding issues that got pretty severe, apparently due to low humidity probs. You're guy is so little, you'll want to def get a handle on it so he/she starts doing healthy shedding - which they do a lot in the first couple years. Congratulations though!

Tegus love their hides - if they don't have one, they burrow. That said - he'll be doing that for a couple days at a time in a couple years. When you first get them - they trust nothing and no one. Talk to him and sit by his tank, and put a worn shirt with your scent on it inside his tank. It'll ruin it, but he'll start to associate your scent with something safe. Kind of like imprinting with newborn foals somewhat. They realize your scent is not threatening. He'll get hungry and start to explore once he feels safe.

(credit.....Walter1.......again)

Godzilla Earth

honestly they don't need that much ventilation. I've heard that you only need 1/3 of the top to be open to air. (correct me if I'm wrong cuz I just heard this)

bsshig40

I still mist mine so I don't go thru soo many gallons of distilled water, but this is what I did for humidity. It works great!

Attachments

• humidifier.jpg
    humidifier.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 7

Blake Doherty

Agree with everything said....especially the screened top being the most likely prob for the humidity. I've noticed that the store-bought tegu enclosures don't have anywhere near the ventilation that you'd think they would. Small holes at the back, along with whatever escapes the glass doors.
It's good that you're thinking this through, because we've had some people on this forum recently with some shedding issues that got pretty severe, apparently due to low humidity probs. You're guy is so little, you'll want to def get a handle on it so he/she starts doing healthy shedding - which they do a lot in the first couple years. Congratulations though!

Tegus love their hides - if they don't have one, they burrow. That said - he'll be doing that for a couple days at a time in a couple years. When you first get them - they trust nothing and no one. Talk to him and sit by his tank, and put a worn shirt with your scent on it inside his tank. It'll ruin it, but he'll start to associate your scent with something safe. Kind of like imprinting with newborn foals somewhat. They realize your scent is not threatening. He'll get hungry and start to explore once he feels safe.

(credit.....Walter1.......again)

follow up question,

Im not certain on his age, he’s just about 12 inches in length, is it normal for him to be burrowing for 1-2 days at a time at this age?

Godzilla Earth

I know they ussually burrow when they ether want humidity or just because. Giving them a bath once a week also helps a lot wiith sheading

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
follow up question,

Im not certain on his age, he’s just about 12 inches in length, is it normal for him to be burrowing for 1-2 days at a time at this age?

Absolutely - his digs are new, his view has changed and he's prob being offered new types of great food by a total stranger....I would hide too. :rolleyes: They don't trust at all. Your calm demeanor will go a long way with him starting the trust process. Have you put the worn old shirt in there with him yet? When he decides it's either safe to surface, or he's extremely hungry....he'll very timidly and nervously appear. With all the Tegu members, I've never heard of one that just burrowed and died.

We're all really careful not to assume anything on the forum because anything can happen, but this sounds 100% normal.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
follow up question,

At all ages, tegus are under cover more than they are out. You'll pick up its rhythm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu