• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question about substrate for my breeder rats.

Brad2bw

5 Year Member
I have started back breeding rats for my snake and I was wondering if anyone has ever herd that cedar chips could cause respiratory problems? I used it all the time a couple years ago when I was breeding them and I never had any problems with it. But it seems like they have been sneezing some and one of them kicked the bucket earlier today.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1462">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1462</a><!-- m -->

Scroll down to the bottom. Read the 2 article posted in the last thread.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Brad2bw said:
I have started back breeding rats for my snake and I was wondering if anyone has ever herd that cedar chips could cause respiratory problems? I used it all the time a couple years ago when I was breeding them and I never had any problems with it. But it seems like they have been sneezing some and one of them kicked the bucket earlier today.

i always use simple rodent substrate.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Aspen or pine is what I would use. I use pine . I have used it for years. The oils in the cedar will kill your snakes. Use pine that is made for horses. It has been dried and doesn't contain as much oil and dust. I also use the pine in my snake cages.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu