• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

question about feeding

steve

5 Year Member
Tegi will eat only rodents or recently quail but you get the picture... she will not eat veggies or fruit or anything that wasn't living at one time with fur or feathers on it. is it ok for her to eat only rodents ? and if not then how do i persuade her to eat something else?
Steve

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Have you tried raw ground turkey? You can try hiding stuff in it. Or try smothering something with some egg yolk. That one works alot too.

steve

5 Year Member
she wont eat ground turkey or eggs either she only wants rodents for the most part, everything else she will ignore like its not food at all. personally i think shes spoiled......

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How old is she? Bobby has stopped feeding his B/W's fruits and veggies all together and he has had tons of success. So I guess it's not a total loss. Try some small whole fish, crayfish, or fresh fish felets if you haven't already done so. What's her feeding response like? Use some hemostats to dangle food around and maybe she will go after it?

steve

5 Year Member
shes about 2.5 years old as i was told, as long as its a rat or a quail she will readily take the food i just dangle the rat by the tail or the quail by the feet and wave it and she will grab it and pound it down. when i first got her she ate chicken liver and gizzards and hearts and such, but when she got her first rat she was not interested in anything else.
I have tried salmon filets but she not interested, have not tried beef liver yet but ill give it a shot.

Chelsea M.

5 Year Member
my tegu did the same thing but eventually got tired of just that but you should be careful because i heard giving it too much of the mice can cause kidney problems

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Chelsea M. said:
my tegu did the same thing but eventually got tired of just that but you should be careful because i heard giving it too much of the mice can cause kidney problems

I do not know who gave you this information, but rodents do not cause kidney problems.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
i was told the same thing about the liver problems from someone on here and i cant remember who, but bobby cleared that up, it honestly doesnt make any sense and dont know why i believed it but rats are probably the best thing u could possibly feed your tegu, everything they need is inside it not to mention its their favorite thing, whole prey has lots of mass

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029