• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question about feeding mice

Luvmytegu

5 Year Member
My tegu will not eat mice from feeding tongs :bang When he will eat a mouse he likes to get it from his food dish. I was trying to feed from tongs(wiggle and shake alittle) to simulate a live critter, he snubs it. Anyone else have a picky tegu?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Well one I'd feed rats>mice, they have less bone and more nutritional value and mass...and if he wont eat from the tongs by wiggling, just put it in his food dish, this should trigger less food agression as well.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
started feeding mine pinky rats around 20 inches long, if i remember correctly :D I just went by his size compared to the rodent, you can tell when he/she is ready to move to pinky rats and so on...if they can take a hopper mouse, then can take a pinky rat.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jer723 said:
is it dangerous to try and feed your tegu by hand? i want to traim her to feed from hand,
Hi Jerry! It's not a good idea to feed them by hand, they can get overzealous and bite you, or they'll learn to associate you with food, so when every time they see you they think it's time to eat. I feed our adults with a fork some times if they don't eat fast enough, but that's advanced stuff when you know your Tegu. You can do a lot more with them after they trust you and you trust him.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I usually feed mine on the back porch, right after I take them out of their cages. Yesterday I decided to rake the back yard first while they were on the porch, then feed them. Well, that darn red tegu of mine decided he couldn't stand it any longer. He was so ready to eat that when I opened the door to the porch, he charged me and ran after me all the way to sliding glass doors! My daughter had to fend him off with a broom while I got his food ready and by the time I got the plate down I thought he was going to crawl up my arm!

Now, he's not usually like that, but they have such a strong association with feeding time that I would not want to hand feed a critter such as that. I like my fingers too much. ;)

I do feed with a long handled teaspoon or fork at times, but man, they like to grab that, too.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Unless you are comfterble with a specific individual, I would not recommend hand feeding. Tegus can have a very strong feeding response and associate your hand as source of food. Getting bit by a juvie is one thing, but an adult has enough power in its jaws to break a finger.

Jer723

5 Year Member
thanks for helping me out guys. im a beginner and im just starting to get into this. i still need to buy my tegu!lol ;) thanks for all your help. ill probably ask a ton of questions, sorry for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029