• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Problem with Red Eared Slider

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WeÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ve had a 6 year old Red Eared Slider for nearly 5 months (given to use by one of our kids teachers). HeÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s been living in a 55G tank with an upper basking area and about 10 gallons of water cleaned with a ZooMed 501 pump/filter. Turtle Clean and Calcimize (?) are put in the water at every water change (80-90%, every week or 2) at which the filter is disassembled and all parts cleaned.

This past Sunday I noticed the water had gotten cloudy and it had been 2 weeks since the last cleaning so I did the usual. The next day the water was cloudy again so the following day I did a complete water change and rinsed the filter parts. Within 2 hours the water looked like it did before!!! Yesterday I did some reading on the filter and found they recommend replacing the carbon filter every month, something I hadnÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t done in the 4 months IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ve had it. So last night I bought a new one and did a 90% water change (the stench was bad!). Within 1 hour the water was cloudy again and this morning it was worse and the stench was back!!!!

I starting to wonder if this is coming out of the turtle? I didnÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t feed him yesterday to see if the problem improves but I doubt it will.

What could be causing this??? WeÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ve never had this problem in the 5 months weÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ve had him. The ZooMed filter has always kept the water crystal clear. It looks to be functioning and assembled properly.

AB^

5 Year Member
The cloudyness could be from the water cycling like an actual aquarium would when you first set it up. If you learn how to use aquarium test kits you can follow your way through the cycles, or just wait it should clear up on it's own. I would add more water to the tank too, 10 gals in a 55 doesnt seem fitting to me

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
The cloudyness could be from the water cycling like an actual aquarium would when you first set it up. If you learn how to use aquarium test kits you can follow your way through the cycles, or just wait it should clear up on it's own. I would add more water to the tank too, 10 gals in a 55 doesnt seem fitting to me
That wouldn't explain the smell. The 55 has a divider to have a 1 ft long raised area for basking. The remaining 2ft is about 6" deep, definitely not enough water for him. But I'd really like to rehome him and not have to spend any more money. My wife brought him home one evening from one of our kids teachers. I prefer pets you can hold and interact with, and don't swim in their own sh*t! He was living in a 20G in 4" of water before we got him, so he's got better conditions here. I just don't want him. Too much maintenance!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang poor turtle! 20g for a 6 year old? :( I think it's reccomended 10 gallons of water for every 1 inch of the turtle. I had two 3 inchers in a 75 G setup befoe I rehomed them and I still thought it was too small. LOL

I really don't like the turtle cleans though. I had to run 2 of them on a 50 gallon setup just to keep the water clean to the point I was satisfied.. The design was nice but needed to have bigger tanks and media IMO. As for the cloudy water, I would let it cycle too. It should dissipate within a day.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Dang poor turtle! 20g for a 6 year old? :( I think it's reccomended 10 gallons of water for every 1 inch of the turtle.
I read that also.

PuffDragon said:
As for the cloudy water, I would let it cycle too. It should dissipate within a day.
What about the smell?? Is that normal??

blackforces get you

5 Year Member
the less water you put makes more cleaning. trust me i have a 55 gallont ank as well and i put about 10 gallons as well. after 50 or a hour the turtles had it completely white. trust me its best you fill the water higher but the bad thing is i dont suggest that since it took me a hour to dump out all that murky algae fish skeleton infested waters. trust me i used alot of like chemicals to take out the co2 and stuf and whatever. so my suggestion is you put more water

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks, but the turtle went on a permanent vacation to West Virginia. A woman in another forum offered to take him to live with her turtles. She has a great setup.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Thanks, but the turtle went on a permanent vacation to West Virginia. A woman in another forum offered to take him to live with her turtles. She has a great setup.

I guess it's better that way. It was nice of you to make an effort, though.

blackforces get you

5 Year Member
yeah thats true. my turtle likes the setup i made but with more features she will go wild but since i got a tank from the front of my building i might as well keep it untill i get the new one for christmas or early january

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus