• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pretty cool stuff!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In this paper it refers to the Tupinambis teguixin, this was before the name changes within these species, it is now talking about the Argentine black n white, or Tupinambis Merianae.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://herpetology.tamu.edu/Fitzgerald/Fitzgerald_files/Fitzgerald_etal_1991_conservation%20chapter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://herpetology.tamu.edu/Fitzgerald/ ... hapter.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Lee A. Fitzgerald: Nesting begins in mid-November and peaks in December, but occasionally gravid females can be found as late as February. Females of both species construct nests out of moist grass,s mall sticks, and miscellaneousli tter in burrows. Tupinambis teguixin laid twenty-nine to thirty-nine (n = 5; i = 33.75) eggs at Guaycolec, and clutch sizes of twenty to fifty-four were reported by Donadio and Gallardo (1984). Two nestso f 7: rufescensfr om the wild containedt wentyfive and twenty-four eggs, but clutch sizes greater than thirty are known (pers.obs.). After the incubation period of 45 to 75 days, young hatch from late December through March (fig. 21.3). Interestingly, females remain with their nests throughout the incubation period, possibly to provide protection. Hunters claim that females attend nests, and this has been the case with nests we have excavated. At the Guaycolec facility, females remained near their nesting burrows once nests were constructed, and nesting females were noticeably aggressive towards intruders. Hatchlings remain for at least a few weeks in the nesting burrow with the fe308 Lee A. Fitzgerald, Jose M. Chani, and Oscar E. Donadio male. Whether parental care is involved in this relationship, whether the mother and young overwinter together, and the effects of maternal presence on offspring survival are topics of current and future research

Attachments

• big%20and%20small%20lizard.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 2
  • Tmerianae%20with%20hatchling.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 1

hoosier

5 Year Member
that is pretty cool bobby. i like the fact that they guard their nests. not many lizards guard. but since it was talkin about T. teguixin before the name change does this info also refer to the modern T. teguixin aswell?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No, the Colombians do not guard or build the nest; they dig into a termite mound and lay the eggs and abandon them. They dig in and lay the eggs, and then the termites build it back, when the babies hatch they must dig out of the mound.

On the Argentines, I did not know that the mother stayed all summer with the babies, and then hibernate with them. I guess this is why they stay in the guard mode all the way up to hibernation.

hoosier

5 Year Member
so columbians are more like the varanids in the kind of way they lay? thats intreasting.
its amazing that the mom stays with them and hibernate with them. i have a new respect for the mother argentines. and like you said, it shows why they stay in guard mode for so long. cool

Bentley83

5 Year Member
Hey Bobby, They sure do guard the nest, My female(Lexy) was in guard mode for like several months up until the fall. Then she was back to her normal self again. Thank God she was nasty. She was in that mode pretty much the whole summer it seemed like.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bentley83 said:
Hey Bobby, They sure do guard the nest, My female(Lexy) was in guard mode for like several months up until the fall. Then she was back to her normal self again. Thank God she was nasty. She was in that mode pretty much the whole summer it seemed like.

Yea, many of mine are the same way during nesting, but some stay tame, most do not.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We got lucky. Our female Blue Tegu got nicer after laying! We were prepared for a battle when we saw she laid, but she came out of her enclosure like nothing happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029