• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pressure treated wood for outdoor cage (pine)

angel61939

I found some wood at homedepot for an outdoor enclosure and its 23/32 inches thick basically 3/4 inches and its good for outdoor conditions even rain but it says pine. Is it still toxic even if its outdoors? i dont want to buy regular wood because then it will rot in the rain and pressure treated wood will last longer in outdoor conditions than regular plywood

Tannaros

I found some wood at homedepot for an outdoor enclosure and its 23/32 inches thick basically 3/4 inches and its good for outdoor conditions even rain but it says pine. Is it still toxic even if its outdoors? i dont want to buy regular wood because then it will rot in the rain and pressure treated wood will last longer in outdoor conditions than regular plywood

Pine is fine if it's kiln dried - by that point the oils are generally mostly aerated off.

I've never used pressure treated wood in a reptile cage simply because the arsenic/copper or alkaline/copper used in the pressure process unnerves me.

However, just about any wood you get, if properly sealed, will hold up fairly well in wet conditions. This of course depends on what sealants you use, and how much rain you're expecting.

Last edited:

jtrux

5 Year Member
I used pressure treated in my outdoor tortoise enclosures will no ill-effects. I also use railroad ties which are probably worse...once again, no ill-effects. You will be fine.

Tannaros

I used pressure treated in my outdoor tortoise enclosures will no ill-effects. I also use railroad ties which are probably worse...once again, no ill-effects. You will be fine.

Making an outdoor enclosure large enough where the animal infrequently contacts wood would most likely work, and since the 2004 change it's probably a negligble risk anyway - there is still a risk!

Edit: Removed rude comment.

Last edited:

jtrux

5 Year Member
Just make sure you have wire on the ground too or bury it so he can dig out.

Tannaros

Just make sure you have wire on the ground too or bury it so he can dig out.

This.

You may also want to consider using a hardcore packing (gravel, etc.), and you could even lay a slab of concrete under it using rough 2x4s as a frame.

Any way works and is fairly cost efficient.

jtrux

5 Year Member
If it is going to be permanent, concrete would an excellent choice and it is cheap, just takes a little effort to put down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu