• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Powersun Reviews?

Kingjaffejo

5 Year Member
Hello all! I ordered a powersun uv light from online. Its currently on its way to me. I've been doing some research online, and i see alot of people have said that this is one of the worst bulbs ever ( just great to hear!!). Most say it doesn't last long, and others say it does. Can some of you guys share your experience with these bulbs, if you have used them. Thanks!

AWD247

5 Year Member
I've used powersun on 4 different animals ad have never had a problem, I have my extreme on powersun now also and it's been perfectly fine, on one occasion it actually helped me out cause it shut off due to over heating, come to find out I didn't have enough venting and my temps were very high, luckily it shut off, I added vents and it's working perfect.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've got 3 and have had good luck with them. I bought 4 of the T-Rex Active UV Heat bulbs (supposed to be the commercial version of the Mega-Ray) and had 2 burn out early, 1 lasted 2 days and 1 was dead on arrival!

I wish I had a UVB meter to test the output. I've read most bulbs vary in output and decline over time. Just because the instructions say to replace after 1 year, doesn't mean it's putting out any useful UVB or it may be fine for another 6 months. You really don't know.

Turbine

5 Year Member
I just got two of the 100 watts at the last show and they are working great.
Its nice to have heat and uv all in one bulb.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Depends on the size of you enclosure and baskin area position, if your at the right height for basking you shouldn't have a problem, as far as the temp for the whole enclosure I would say nothing bigger than a 4ftx2ft (which was my gu's starter enclosure and temps were fine) it kept the enclosure at about 88 and basking area at 98-101
making the proper vents help alot, you don't wanna go too much but enough to keep temps and humidity right ( which I keep around 44-51%)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I kept our hatchlings in a 20G (long) tank, with the 100W PowerSun in a large dome, which put the Tegu's about 14" from the bulbs. That gave 100 to 110 degree basking.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Yes it does. The big enclosure that houses my 4 month old is 48x24x18.
gives me a 105 degree basking spot. the cool side at the end is 78-80 depending on my house temp.

I'm building a bigger cage this weekend, I'm guessing it won't heat it enough. I'm going to try the 160w powersun, along with reptisun 10 tube. If needed I'll add more bulbs for heat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu