• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Power Sun beliver through and through

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alright so I know that there is alot of different teams out there. Mega ray fans, Solar Glo west and Flukers is the new up and coming rookie. Long forgot t-rex activated heat and so many new comers coming out each year. It took me awhile before i switched from Mega ray and T-rex to the new Power Suns, they were and still are so expensive. The price had me change to the fluker's new sun spot. Good bulb don't get me wrong, wave lenghts all looked good, animals didn't dull up like I had seen before. However two months later not one, not two but all three had blown out!!!

I got two replacement Flukers for free, the third one i had lost the recipt but store credit and bough a power sun. Here I am three months later and not a Fluker to be found. I do not know why but they burned out way too fast, I have never had this happen to the power suns, megaray or any other bulbs.

So ya great woopty do for you right? Well how about how tough these bulbs are. Long story short the really nice caiman lizard cage i am had to be demolished (a mouse made its nest in the foam and baby mice were drowning in the pool). I had to leave on vacation so i moved him into his old glass tank. The tank fell apart while i was gone and the bulb and fixture fell about three feet. Bulb was fine, plugged it in and its fine. Driving back up to my place the fixture got slammed agaist the spare tire of my jeep and the tank. The fixture is dead the bulb still works!!! The last three days the bulb and new fixture fell three times about 3 feet and wouldn't you know it, that stupid bulb keeps chuggin along!!!

I know how expensive powersuns are but after all this I think I'll just suck up the cost.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Again i'm a mega ray fan,team megaray lol,but if i didnt use a mega ray i would use a powersun they seem to be good bulbs i used a couple a few years back and they were ok,but your powersun is a real beast still going after the damage it took lol.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I loved Mega Rays!!! Still is a great bulb. But when they had all those issues and back orders an months to get my bulbs I switched. Maybe I'll try ordering again.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
They seem to be getting there crap together,i had a bulb on order and they shipped it today,but powersun are good as well.

adam1120

so are they gettin better cus i wanna buy one ut i honestlyt dont wanna wait months or it and also i dont want light i have to be shippin bak cus its broken and waste time i hate doin that. that why i go with repti sun but i was wondering if i had to use a mvb with larger tegu or should two reptisun in its 8x3x4 be good enough uvb

teguboy77

5 Year Member
They just sent me a 160watt last tuesday and when i called them last friday about my 36 Full Spectrum Fluorescent they just sent it out today and will be here wednesday.But they said they have bulbs in stock as of friday.I used reptisun 36'' 10.0 there good as long as you have them pretty close to your reptile,like 12'' or so i was getting like 57mw of uvb,go with a mercury vapor bulb in my opinion.

adam1120

can i use the mvb for my beardies? ive heard some of those are too strong for beardies eye i wanna use the repi sun till he out grows his 40 breeder then get the mega ray but got the money now so i wanna buy the buld now too since ima be building his enclosure soon

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yes you can use a mercury vapor for your bearded dragon there really good for them actually.Uvb and heat are important along with great diet.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I will never go back to florecent its all about the MVB in my opinion for any animals in a 40gallon or larger. It's just too hard to make sure the bulb is close enough to the animal but far enough to be out of harms way. I'm glad to hear MegaRay is getting it togeather, maybe that will be my next order.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
OMFG you have a caiman lizard! That's like my dream reptile! Could you maybe post a picture?

Anyway I was going to get a mega ray last summer when I was building my 8'x4' because I heard about how great they were. But honestly not only was the customer service extremely slow(it took a week or so to reply sometimes) but a lot of their stuff was on backorder including the bulb I wanted and ordering was a bit of a hassle. And I mean backordered for months. It was just too drawn out for such a crucial piece of equipment so I went with powersun and I have no regrets. I have heard they have gotten their stuff together but I am not going to switch. Maybe in the future for something else. I also have a repti=sun 10.0 in with my tegu on the cool side for some supplemental uvb.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rrrooj - Caiman lizards are amazing. Like a crocodile with a tegu personality, just a joy to work with.

I have no resent picture of him, my job has me major busy. here are some treads about him so you don't have to go fishing.

First arrived
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=75#axzz1QdNl4TCi

Random update
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8046#axzz1QdNl4TCi

Feeding time
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8320#axzz1QdNl4TCi

RobK.

The only thing i don't like about the mega ray is the lack of heat they put out , i had to put a 100 watt halogen bulb next to it with a rheostat to get the temps i needed for my Rhino . When a get a solar meter i will see how the powersun compares to the megaRay . The powersuns are more $$$ but its nice having them local .

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
rrrooj - Caiman lizards are amazing. Like a crocodile with a tegu personality, just a joy to work with.

I have no resent picture of him, my job has me major busy. here are some treads about him so you don't have to go fishing.

First arrived
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=75#axzz1QdNl4TCi

Random update
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8046#axzz1QdNl4TCi

Feeding time
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8320#axzz1QdNl4TCi

Stunning lizard he is! When I get my own house I will defiantly be keeping these guys along with a tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980