• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty training Bloo?

FUNKSH4RK

What's up guys. My name is Gian. Recently joined the tegu club and it's been a blast so far! Picked up this little guy back in November (born 7/29/16) and has been growing like a weed. I named him Bloo (so original) obviously being he's a blue tegu.

Prior to adopting Bloo, a buddy of mine allowed me to house a juvenile chacoan tegu he was about to post for sale. I got to spend about a month with him and noticed he would poop almost immediately after his meals. Never in his cage but always in his feeding tank (besides the few accidents on the bed). Bloo on the other hand goes anytime and anywhere.

So my question... is there anything one can do to begin to "potty training" a tegu? Bloo's poop smell is already kicking like king fu and I'm sure it's only about to get worse... and larger lol.

***Bloo is currently 19 inches and 187 grams.

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4639.JPG

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Gian and welcome. Beautiful tegu.

I've read here about potty-trained tegus. Maybecsearch some threads before others with some experience weigh in.

FUNKSH4RK

Hi Gian and welcome. Beautiful tegu.

I've read here about potty-trained tegus. Maybecsearch some threads before others with some experience weigh in.

Hey Walter1, thanks for the compliment. I've been reading around some threads and haven't seen much on the topic or any actual methods. Maybe point me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savemygrave

Hey Walter1, thanks for the compliment. I've been reading around some threads and haven't seen much on the topic or any actual methods. Maybe point me in the right direction?

I've almost managed to train my girl to use a cat litter tray. When I say almost, sometimes she will get caught short and go just before she can climb in! She absolutely refuses to go in her vivarium and only will if she has to.

I thought she might be ok with this as I started to realise she liked to go in a certain corner of the room... I put towels down and then replaced the towels with the tray. She enjoys digging in it too!

Here is Olive using her tray in her corner.

271c06c23c55baba90e0a73a0c66b052.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm thinking a search in the forums using "potty". The topic's come up a more than a few times. Just don't remember if methods were explained.

FUNKSH4RK

@Savemygrave @Walter1 Thanks for the insight guys. I'm definitely going to attempt the litter box method, ideally for an easy clean up. I was able to pick up a fewer pointers while reading through old threads. A few members suggest trying to soak your Gu in warm water to stimulate a bowel movement, then placing em on a puppy pad/litter box once it's about that time. Definitely worth a shot!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
@Savemygrave @Walter1 Thanks for the insight guys. I'm definitely going to attempt the litter box method, ideally for an easy clean up. I was able to pick up a fewer pointers while reading through old threads. A few members suggest trying to soak your Gu in warm water to stimulate a bowel movement, then placing em on a puppy pad/litter box once it's about that time. Definitely worth a shot!

Excellent idea. Pretty soon you'll know his poop schedule, which will give you the advantage. Please update on this because if it works for you, other free-range keepers will have an option to try.

Savemygrave

You're welcome. It's just about getting what works best for them. Olive likes to go in the bath too sometimes but she prefers to use the litter tray. They catch on pretty quick that they don't have to go in their home if they don't have to!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're welcome. It's just about getting what works best for them. Olive likes to go in the bath too sometimes but she prefers to use the litter tray. They catch on pretty quick that they don't have to go in their home if they don't have to!

Maybe that's why they often pooo soon as they're out of their enclosure. I'm glad it works. Has to beca great relief not to have to follow the parade elephand with a pooper scooper.

Justin

5 Year Member
I take mine outside if the weather is good soon as he's out and walk him in the grass. He will usually go within 5-10 minutes then I let him roam around indoors. I have done the tub thing but Tegilla doesn't like the tub and it's easier to leave his turds in the grass than clean then out of the tub.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214