• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

post ur setups please

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Nice stacked enclosures :) i may use the idea for the snake cages we are building. I want my snakes all in one spot, but dislike those drawer racks where you can't even see them unless you pull them out...

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Oh...i got the red flood light for night heat and niles was under it this morning... it works great and it was wayyyyy cheaper than the pet store night bulbs and much less fragile! I recommend them!!!

Coliosis

Here's Belle's tank! Just redecorated last night and Belle seems to love the plants in there. She won't stop exploring it's so cute
DSC03423_zps72ca0ae0.jpg

DSC03422_zps4ca9e33c.jpg

DSC03421_zps1e2ef208.jpg

DSC03420_zps4b1bb5b0.jpg

Quick question, do those red lights not bother the tegus at night? I know not to use them with bearded dragons because they can still sense the light. Is it fine for tegus because they burrow so the light doesn't bother them? I currently use a CHE at night.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I had used a che but it sucked. The red lamps put out much better heat and reach greater distance. The red doesn't seem to bother niles. I think it is similar to how at night there is still moonlight etc. Never total blackout. Not red, but...you know. He goes in his hide then comes out to sit under the bulb if he needs to. Then in the day i resume reg floods and uvb.

Coliosis

Okay thanks! Good to know! I really like my CHE so far but good to know the red lights are fine too (as they are much cheaper lol)!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes I couldn't believe the price difference for basically the SAME THING... it is true, they just slap a reptile on the box and a 5 dollar light magically becomes worth 60 dollars!

Coliosis

BatGirl1 said:
Yes I couldn't believe the price difference for basically the SAME THING... it is true, they just slap a reptile on the box and a 5 dollar light magically becomes worth 60 dollars!

Hahaha so true! I just use dollar store halogens for my basking lights! I guess the CHE is okay for me though because I could always use it if one of my bearded dragons get sick or something and need higher temps over night because the red light is not the greatest for them.

Are tegus known to like to burrow near plant roots? Because Belle has been doing laps in the substrate around the plants lol (the plants are still in pots)

mike97

Coliosis said:
Here's Belle's tank! Just redecorated last night and Belle seems to love the plants in there. She won't stop exploring it's so cute
DSC03423_zps72ca0ae0.jpg

DSC03422_zps4ca9e33c.jpg

DSC03421_zps1e2ef208.jpg

DSC03420_zps4b1bb5b0.jpg

Quick question, do those red lights not bother the tegus at night? I know not to use them with bearded dragons because they can still sense the light. Is it fine for tegus because they burrow so the light doesn't bother them? I currently use a CHE at night.

looks amazing!!!!!!!! loving the 2 levels! thinking of doing one! ive got 80 to spend tomorrow. what to buy? 6x3x3 viv btw!

Tannaros

Just so you know it's most likely going to cost more than that when all is said and done.

For starters you'll want your standard siding and paneling. I would personally suggest going with 3/4" hardwood interior grade plywood. 6x3x3 is really all not that large, so you're most likely fine structurally and shouldn't really need all that much support, though a simple 2x4 base could help.

Just so you know, 6x3x3 is going to require quite a few more cuts than an 8x4x4. I'm not sure if its because you need to save space or what. The two enclosures will end up costing roughly the same.

I would suggest just sketching out your own idea for a cage so you can go into it all with an idea of a material list as well as an overall strategy. You're basically making a rectangular prism (box) and depending how you do the door(s) you might not need the front.

If you're going with plywood you'll need a sealant - I personally have had great luck with Drylock as a water proofer and with the added bonus of wearing claws down pretty well.

You'll also need some sort of agent to put all your pieces together. I like to use drywall screws as they have a strength similar to decking screws without the added price.

You'll need a seam sealer - I use Silicone - and possibly some paint for the outside of it.

Those are basics. You'll also need to figure out what you want to do for doors (sliding, cabinet, etc.) and lighting.

Checklist:
-3/4" hardwood plywood (enough for your top, bottom, back, and sides at least)
-Sealant (shouldn't need much more, if any, than one can)
-Fasteners (not literally, unless you like glue - go with Drywall screws, exterior)

I'm assuming you have all the tools necessary. You really only need a drill/driver and a circular saw for something this simple. A table saw would make your rip and cross cuts easier. Though if you're going to a large department store like Lowes or Home Depot they usually have cutting services available.

mike97

Tannaros said:
Just so you know it's most likely going to cost more than that when all is said and done.

For starters you'll want your standard siding and paneling. I would personally suggest going with 3/4" hardwood interior grade plywood. 6x3x3 is really all not that large, so you're most likely fine structurally and shouldn't really need all that much support, though a simple 2x4 base could help.

Just so you know, 6x3x3 is going to require quite a few more cuts than an 8x4x4. I'm not sure if its because you need to save space or what. The two enclosures will end up costing roughly the same.

I would suggest just sketching out your own idea for a cage so you can go into it all with an idea of a material list as well as an overall strategy. You're basically making a rectangular prism (box) and depending how you do the door(s) you might not need the front.

If you're going with plywood you'll need a sealant - I personally have had great luck with Drylock as a water proofer and with the added bonus of wearing claws down pretty well.

You'll also need some sort of agent to put all your pieces together. I like to use drywall screws as they have a strength similar to decking screws without the added price.

You'll need a seam sealer - I use Silicone - and possibly some paint for the outside of it.

Those are basics. You'll also need to figure out what you want to do for doors (sliding, cabinet, etc.) and lighting.

Checklist:
-3/4" hardwood plywood (enough for your top, bottom, back, and sides at least)
-Sealant (shouldn't need much more, if any, than one can)
-Fasteners (not literally, unless you like glue - go with Drywall screws, exterior)

I'm assuming you have all the tools necessary. You really only need a drill/driver and a circular saw for something this simple. A table saw would make your rip and cross cuts easier. Though if you're going to a large department store like Lowes or Home Depot they usually have cutting services available.
yeah they have cutting services. my plan is to use osb3 (exterior and seal it) ive got a sealant in a roll, so i dont know if thats anygood or not? and i plan to build a frame and screw the 0sb on the inside of the frame. 18mm btw. its £20 for a 8x4x4 sheet. the 80 is only going to scratch the surface i know. and how long will a 5.5x2.5x1.5 viv last? the mother said i can kit out my shed (insulate it) which is 8x6 of something! so a pair maybe??? but thats if i do it, so many options!!!

bombadierboom

5 Year Member
Just Beware, if you dont put sealant on the heads of the drywall screws they will rust, hence why it is suggested you use an exterior screw such as a decking screw.

Tannaros

bombadierboom said:
Just Beware, if you dont put sealant on the heads of the drywall screws they will rust, hence why it is suggested you use an exterior screw such as a decking screw.

Ideally you shouldn't really have any screws on the inside of your enclosure at all, except possibly those for your lighting. You're technically supposed to use galvanized screws for jointery and stainless steel for exposed elements. You're also supposed to use square heads for sheer durability.

Regardless, you should be sealing everything within the enclosure anyway, as an exposed head means exposed wood which leads to wood rot, rust, and compromised structure.

Pinkie-Pie

Any body with outdoor enclosures in an area where it gets cold? I live in PA and we are planning on constructing an outdoor enclosure this summer. I would assume you still have to bring them indoors in winter. I would think it would get too cold even for hibernation standards especially with snow and what not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me