• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Possibly broken/dislocated hip? I'm really worried

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My female Chacoan from last year's clutch recently fell off the bed on to a small stack of text books I had laying flat on the floor. I saw it happen, but didn't manage to catch her (she slipped off the bed;she wasn't trying to crawl off.) She can't hold on to things very well because she is missing so many toes (they were missing before I got her.)

She fell on to her back hip-area on the edge of one of the texts books, and instantly turned over and just froze, lifting her lower back in to the air. I was afraid to move her, for fear of worsening any injuries that may have resulted. After about 20 seconds, she crawled in to my lap, and I let her sit there, calming her down. I eventually let her walk around a little bit, and she seemed to be walking normally for the most part. I suspect that she may have a lack of calcium in her system, as although I take her outside for some sunbathing several times a week, I realized a few days ago that her UV light was severely malfunctioning; it wasn't staying on. I hadn't noticed it until now, because whenever I walked in there, it seemed to be on. I am going out to get it fixed/replaced this weekend. I believe that the fixture has been malfunction for about two months or so, because I, at one point, fell asleep beside her enclosure in the garage, accidentally leaving the UV light on. I didn't notice that it had turned off on its own accord even once.
:(

A day or so afterwords, her mobility seemed to decrease as shown in the video. I was hoping that she was just constipated, as it looked very similar to what one of Mike's tegus did when it was severely constipated a while ago. I had her do some hardcore soaking, and she defecated, but she is still "limping" badly.

On top of it all, she (as well as but faster than my baby Chacoan) is slipping in to hibernation, and I don't want to make her come out more than necessary. I have plans to take her in to the vets, but am just hoping that one of you guys could tell me that what I believe has happened is not the case, and that it is another less severe condition (or could offer advice on the existing situation.)

Oh, she doesn't seem to be swollen anywhere, and doesn't respond like she's in pain when I feel around the area.

I'm in the process of uploading the video as I type this.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's a vid:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAUv7Cvyrz8">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAUv7Cvyrz8</a><!-- m -->

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do not like the way she is holding her back, it should be straight from the neck to the tail, I do not think it is a hip, and she needs to see a vet. Also rodents are a must during the growth process, the D3 from proper lighting is needed too, but is not a source of calcium.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Poor girl. I hope everything gets situated and she gets better! Sorry I can't offer any assistants.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I do not like the way she is holding her back, it should be straight from the neck to the tail, I do not think it is a hip, and she needs to see a vet. Also rodents are a must during the growth process, the D3 from proper lighting is needed too, but is not a source of calcium.

Thanks Bobby, I appreciate the input. Can you think of anything in particular I should tell the vet? I've brought my reptiles to this guy before...he knows what he's doing, and has worked with tegus before.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
VARNYARD said:
I do not like the way she is holding her back
I agree, it looks like a lower back problem. Anyone who's that problem knows that walk.

That was my first thought, thus my initial name of the youtube video when I accidentally uploaded it under my wrong account name. It's too bad, too...I was hoping it was something else more easily worked on/less severe, like a broken leg (or even better, just a simple bout of constipation.)

I have an appointment with my herp vet for Tuesday at 4:30.
This is most likely going to be a big dent in my pocket...heck, it's going to empty it...I just hope my new ob opportunity pulls through...I won't know if I got the position until early October, most likely.

I really need the cash now. The initial check-up itself is going to cost 60 bucks, and the x-rays, if needed, will cost at least several hundred.. I'll just pray that she doesn't need corrective surgery.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
oh thats injured all right
60 bucks?! lol, i paid nearly 150 for a single vet trip before my red tegu unfortuanately died

devine*

5 Year Member
aww poor baby! Hopefully it's nothing serious, maybe just some swelling around certain areas is making her walks stiff (like humans do when they hurt their backs)

I'm just trying to stay positive tho, good luck at the vet!!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since a few days ago, she seems to have a bit more mobility, but she's still walking pretty funky.

Oh, and I noticed oddly that she doesn't seem to lift it up as much when walking in grass as opposed to my carpeted floor or outside on the concrete. Maybe it has something to do with how much give the surface has.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980