• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Possible impaction in b&W?

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
My two year old seems to be showing milder signs of impaction. I only describe it as mild b/c the animal is still feeding every day and eliminating. Problem is, it's usually just the white urea and seldom actual feces.

I watch it eat, so I can say with certainty that the animal could be prone to such a problem. I don't get the behavior. He'll go right after the turkey or rodent, grab it, and then take it out into the substrate and proceed to finish it. I've taken a few steps to eliminate this problem. First, I put paper towels under the feeding dish so the tegu would not put the food directly onto the subs (cypress). Sometimes it works, sometimes he just takes it further away. It's particularly difficult when I feed mice. I've also attempted to feed outside the cage, but after the handling the lizard loses interest.

I recently observed some mulch bits in some stool when I was doing my daily spot cleaning. This was the final straw for me. I took the tegu out and gave it a 20 minute soak in some warm water while I cleaned out the mulch and replaced it with paper towels. I wanted to let him have something to dig in, so I bought a large opaque Rubbermaid container, filled it with mulch, wetted it, and placed it in the area of the cage where his burrow was usually dug out. He took to the burrow immediately, so that's good, I suppose.

I'm going to feed in the new setup tomorrow morning. I'm also going to do another soak and add some cod liver oil to the supplemented turkey. I'm using a zoomed reptisun bulb right now in a 10 hour cycle coming out of winter (he did not hibernate, although I tried, it worked last year.). I also have a 90 watt halogen flood over the hot spot that stays around 110 and is on a timer. Water is replaced twice daily.

I think this issue will subside with some work and patience. If not, I'll take him to a vet. Like I said, no major issues other than a seeming lack of stool, but not a total lack.

Any advice?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you get him on a regular diet with the cod liver oil in the diet once a week it will keep him moving good. I would not worrie about a vet visit unless he gets totally impacted, the cod liver oil should help with getting him freed up.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
That's what I was hoping to hear. I've got a good health food grocery store down the street, so I'll have a look tomorrow.

What do you think about the feeding behavior I described in the OP? Why would a tegu do that? You reckon he's trying to tell me something I just can't get a handle on? I kept another b&w aquired as an adult for about 8 years. That particular animal always just fed in his bowl. Rodents I understand, as although they are always prekilled, he like to "kill" them anyway before swallowing. Turkey, I don't get though. It's a real pain in the rear. Mulch sticks to raw turkey like glue. I don't want to end up keeping a burrowing animal on paper towels for it's lifetime.

Thanks again for the advice, Bobby.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This will help you a bunch:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- l -->

It is really best in many ways to feed in a separate tub.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Followed your advice about the cod liver oil, Bobby. He dropped a rather large deuce this morning, so it seems to be working very well. I'll attempt to switch to tub feeding again and see if he's more receptive to it. Thanks again.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Well, it looks like it's vet visit time. I really thought I was out of the woods on this one. I placed him in his new feeding box about an hour ago. He ate a little bit. I came back into the room to put him back about a half hour later and was shocked to see blood in the receptacle and some poo attatched to the cloaca that he can't eliminate.

I gave him a good half hour soak in warm water. Before I put him back I gave him a shot of cod liver oil orally. He took it pretty well, but the problem persisits.

I'm calling my vet tomorrow morning first thing. It's really freaking me out. I also removed all substrate, even in his hide box. There are paper towels in it now, as well as lining the enclosure floor.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
My tegu passed this afternoon. It was fairly shocking, considering that it had eaten and had a bath barely an hour before I found it dead. The vet visit seemed promising, with an oil injection into the stomach and a passed stool almost immediately after the next bath I gave him.

I'm working on sending some pics to Bobby in the next day or so. I spoke with him on the phone after I found him. He suspects possible MBD, and I'm anxious to know whatever I can. Whatever happened is nobody's fault but my own, as is any husbandry mistake, which this has to have been. I've lost animals before, including another tegu I kept for about 8 years. With tegus, I always seem to take it a lot harder, b/c of the personalities.

What can I say, guys? The sense of personal irresponsibility is humiliating.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I am very sorry for your loss. :(

Some things in life are just beyond our control. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did the best you can and you recognized the problem and brought him to the vet. There's really nothing more that you could do at that point.

Do you have other tegus? If so, or if you plan on getting another, please don't hesitate to post about your husbandry if you are unsure about it. This site is a wealth of knowledge and we'd all be glad to help.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Tegu Tank

5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
I am very sorry for your loss. :(

Some things in life are just beyond our control. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did the best you can and you recognized the problem and brought him to the vet. There's really nothing more that you could do at that point.

Do you have other tegus? If so, or if you plan on getting another, please don't hesitate to post about your husbandry if you are unsure about it. This site is a wealth of knowledge and we'd all be glad to help.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

yea hes right you shouldnt take it so hard as long as u learn from your mistake then you shouldnt be hard on yourself :cry:

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I appreciate the comments, fellas. Took some pics today to send to Bobby.

I'm not keeping any other tegus at the moment. This one was going on two and was an animal my fiancee got me to replace an older tegu that I kept for about 8 years. I bought my first one as an adult. Now I'm just keeping my little ackie who as always just keeps on trucking.

I love tegus and I'm sure I'll consider getting another in the future, but for now I want to take at least a few months to think about why this happened. I already miss the part of my routine that involved keeping him, but replacing animals is more than just stuffing cages. I need to learn from whatever mistake I made (probably not feeding rodents and feeding inside the cage) before I worry about getting another animal. If I do, I'll be patient enough to get one from Bobby.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029