• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help! She’s issue possible scale rot

mdeford09

When I say testable, I mean it can be tested. I would not. Rather, encourage three to four months of down time and work with them thereafter. The rest is important to them.

Perhaps, inbreeding and crossbreedung have dampened it, but argies need to rest, even if just a prolonged slow down.

I am right there with you. We always just let them go down. It gives us a break, saves us money, and it's what they naturally do. So we just let them do it.

However, I do see lots of folks claiming that they have kept theirs awake multiple seasons and they don't have issues with it. It could be legit or, it could be BS and their Tegu is about to crash like a plant.... Plants that require a winter dormancy will last 2-5 seasons without it and even seem to be thriving great at first because they didn't lose their last growth over winter but, they will eventually run out of steam and die... I definitely prefer to mimic their natural environment verses introducing my own idea of what they need.

That actually would make a lot of sense if that’s what happened.. I should ask the vet what they think about that. I just hope he gets better trying everything I can until his appointment /:

Definitely ask the vet.

Like I said, it's not something I have ever heard before with any reptile but, I don't own any other reptile that goes through brumation but has skipped it. Really, it's just our Tegus and Blue Tongues that go through brumation and they do it without a problem each winter... Well, our Suriname giant marine toads will brumate if I let them get too cold but, it's not something they do in the wild. It's just a survival attempt if the temps randomly drop too low.

I really hope he gets through it and is not scarred too bad (mentally and physically) These sorts of things are really are saddening because you feel so helpless. And, personally, I hate seeing my tegus in any sort of discomfort. They're so smart, I know they have a decent idea of what is happening and they absolutely feel the pain.

Keep us updated with posts and pics.

Last edited:

trashboat69

I am right there with you. We always just let them go down. It gives us a break, saves us money, and it's what they naturally do. So we just let them do it.

However, I do see lots of folks claiming that they have kept theirs awake multiple seasons and they don't have issues with it. It could be legit or, it could be BS and their Tegu is about to crash like a plant.... Plants that require a winter dormancy will last 2-5 seasons without it and even seem to be thriving great at first because they didn't lose their last growth over winter but, they will eventually run out of steam and die... I definitely prefer to mimic their natural environment verses introducing my own idea of what they need.

Definitely ask the vet.

Like I said, it's not something I have ever heard before with any reptile but, I don't own any other reptile that goes through brumation but has skipped it. Really, it's just our Tegus and Blue Tongues that go through brumation and they do it without a problem each winter... Well, our Suriname giant marine toads will brumate if I let them get too cold but, it's not something they do in the wild. It's just a survival attempt if the temps randomly drop too low.

I really hope he gets through it and is not scarred too bad (mentally and physically) These sorts of things are really are saddening because you feel so helpless. And, personally, I hate seeing my tegus in any sort of discomfort. They're so smart, I know they have a decent idea of what is happening and they absolutely feel the pain.

Keep us updated with posts and pics.

it is weird Why he wouldn’t brumate, all my others do it no problem it is just him. He didn’t brumate last year ethier but he was very young then...

but I have some very good news! Ive been. Giving him several baths a day and upped his humidity to about 85 and the skin, the second layer, is coming off a bit. ANDD there are only two layers not multiple ! It looks like one very thick layer for brumation shed and only one layer underneath. It was part of the really bad spot that started coming off and fresh skin is showing thankfully and it looks healthy. I will take a picture when he gets out of his bath and I will update you guys tomorrow after his vet visit hoping everything turns out okay for my little guy !

Last edited:

trashboat69

It’s a start atleast

Attachments

• EA8EC7DE-19C2-420F-AB20-20CF435891F3.jpeg
    EA8EC7DE-19C2-420F-AB20-20CF435891F3.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63

mdeford09

Oh good! That's great to hear. And yes, that definitely looks like thick brumation shed. It's thick and more leathery in appearance.

Keep it up and before long, it will all be off! :D

trashboat69

Great news vet figured out what was wrong with my guy and he’s gunna be just fine :)

so first, it was a brumation shed that thick layer, still not sure why he didn’t brumate she said she likes everything about his tank set up and temps humidity I had she said everything sounded great. Just gunna have to keep an eye on him next year and make sure he fully goes down. But that shed will come off it’s already budging a lot more just gunna keep soaking and he will be good with that.

So for the bad spots, he has a bacterial infection on those scales that looked gross. He obv gained a little bit of weight from still eating a little bit and slowing down over the winter. Water was getting trapped in those spots from him gaining that weight and caused some bacteria to grow

she gave me medicine to spray on those spots should clear it up fast and it’s also gunna help his shed come off in those tough spots, it already looks/ feels a lot better and more skin is coming off ! He’s going back in two weeks to make sure everything works properly for him. Thank you for your help everyone much appreciated!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Just read this whole thing - very interesting info. The one thing (pretty sure it was mentioned) that shouldn't be forgotten is the addition of fish oil in his food. "People" that have dry skin aren't getting enough oil, and some mistake the problem by only applying a topical fix. It's not fixing the source. I think it's the same with animals that are now housed and contained, and don't get their natural fish oil and fat from animals that they would naturally hunt for. Hard for us owners sometimes to give that complete diet that they need to stay healthy.

Also - these changes that you're working on take a long time. It doesn't get cured quickly, rather small improvements should be observed, and acted upon. Phew! Good luck and keep us updated.

BucknerCrestExotics

Go to this video
this helped with my tegus stuck shed but mine wasn't that bad but just a consideration with everyone elses advice

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just read this whole thing - very interesting info. The one thing (pretty sure it was mentioned) that shouldn't be forgotten is the addition of fish oil in his food. "People" that have dry skin aren't getting enough oil, and some mistake the problem by only applying a topical fix. It's not fixing the source. I think it's the same with animals that are now housed and contained, and don't get their natural fish oil and fat from animals that they would naturally hunt for. Hard for us owners sometimes to give that complete diet that they need to stay healthy.

Also - these changes that you're working on take a long time. It doesn't get cured quickly, rather small improvements should be observed, and acted upon. Phew! Good luck and keep us updated.
I agree, this has been a very instructive thread that touched on several points relating to nutrition and remedy.

trashboat69

I agree, this has been a very instructive thread that touched on several points relating to nutrition and remedy.

Hey thought I would post an update since it’s been a little bit. But all layers of my tegus shed came off very nicely thankfully this is almost done :) all that’s left is he has one thin line of scab left on his side you can see on the picture even that is starting to come off it’s healing up that was the really bad patch

But he’s been eating good lots of energy and doing great happy everything worked out for my little guy just glad that skin came off finally. Thank you for the help everyone

Attachments

• B4A0B098-5C2F-449B-BAF8-95E15CEBC4FD.jpeg
    B4A0B098-5C2F-449B-BAF8-95E15CEBC4FD.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Looks good to me!! Another good outcome. Great news

I'm going to try the B-12 complex for my male that is having a tough tail shed. Thanks for the video - the guy was very easy going and helpful.

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So - just a little report on the Vit B complex.... It has very little effect on Skully's tail so far. Maybe starting to flake a little more. I'm going to continue it, hoping it just takes some time. Funny thing is, my female - Captain - who had no sign of even thinking about shedding was also given the supplement....and released a beautiful Tegu jumpsuit. Best shed ever.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So - just a little report on the Vit B complex.... It has very little effect on Skully's tail so far. Maybe starting to flake a little more. I'm going to continue it, hoping it just takes some time. Funny thing is, my female - Captain - who had no sign of even thinking about shedding was also given the supplement....and released a beautiful Tegu jumpsuit. Best shed ever.
Oh, wow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced