• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Placing a Tegu to live together with a Monitor

reachsam

I see that it is common to keep two different Tegu species in the same reservoir. However so far I never saw anyone placing a Tegu with a Monitor in the same environment. Since these two lizards belong to separate biological Orders, I would love to read expert opinions regarding such a combination of habitat, or would that necessitate to build two separate terrariums because the two unrelated lizards may kill each other?

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I wouldn't risk it. Tegus and montitors might look similar but are very different. Aggression is a constant issue and tegus often live in a much different enviornment than alot of varanids. It's not worth the risk IMO.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i wouldnt risk it either. not only would agression be a issue but you also have to deal with parasites. also sizes could pose a problem since tegus grow faster than most varanid species(fom what i have seen)

isdrake

5 Year Member
You should never mix two different species. However it's fine with Argentine B/W/blue/red because they are so close. But you shouldn't for example mix Argentine and Colombian Tegus.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
I have heard that some people have kept Argentine and Columbians together, if it is an adult fairly large Columbian and a regular sized adult Argentine I could see there not being a problem.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
"Monitor" covers a large range of animals (Varanus Genus), not a single species. Are you guys suggesting that there is not one species amongst them all that could share a cage with a Tegu?

I'm not well spoken enough in the Genus at large to know every option, but I would have to imagine there is at least one or two that would be a suitable tankmate for a Tegu.

While I would discourage a "trial and error" approach, I would encourage you to read up on different Monitors species and see if there are options members here (thus far) have overlooked.

Whenever we are dealing with living things we should employ caution. But caution doesn't mean not doing things.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Actually I have heard of savannah monitors and juvenile black throat monitors being temporarily and successfully being kept with tegus but I would definitely not recommend it.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Savannah and black throat monitor like a much higher basking spot than tegus around 130F. There are no members of the varanus genus that lives in the new world so the enviornments are different. Are there tropical monitors? yes but they are usually arboreal like the tree monitors. There might be a monitor that likes similar enviornments to tegus but none will like the same enviornment simply because of location.

isdrake

5 Year Member
If you should house two different species together then they will have to live in the same place in the wild and require the exact same environment.

But even if that matches the lizards would probably just get stressed by each other. They will not enjoy the company so housing them together is only for the humans own amusement .

About housing Argentine and Colombian I don't think it's such a good idea. I don't know much about Colombian but doesn't they live in a tropical environment while the Argentine live in sub-tropical environment?

Adam87

5 Year Member
i agree with everyone else but im curious to know what kind of monitor i would hope not a nile haha

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Haha well when I heard about such caging it was very briefly and didn't last. Also an Argentine and a Columbian have really similar care....

Hoadinh

Even though you should never mix species together; but I was building my argentina tegu a new enclosure. I housed them together for about a week and they seem fine, they did not show any sign of aggression toward each other; they also have never seen each other. But then both of them are are dog tame and are used to seeing other animals. you can try if you want but i still wouldnt recommend doing so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu