• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Picky eater, and skidish

mattboyle96

5 Year Member
Hey there. I am a new owner. I've had my red x blue tegu now for about 2 months. Im told hes a male and he was hatched on Aug 26.
Hes a picky eating. Ill feed him meat mash. Turkey or chicken mixed with eggs veggies and fruits with calcium. Or chicken hearts. Salmon. Freezer dried insects. Hell pick at things put wont take a full serving. Looking for help with feeding and diet ideas for the guy to get him more plump and growing faster.
Also with handling he quite skidish yet and likes to jump out of my hands alot. Having to us his tail to secure him more then I'd like. He's not biting and you can pet him once he calms down. Should I just be more patient? Or should he be more along after having him for a couple months. Any ideas in that department? Here's some pics of the little guy. As you can see, not as plump as id like. He part of the family and treated well. Always looking for ideas and help along the way. Thanks in advance !!!!
20201111_181504.jpg
20201111_181408.jpg
20201111_181426.jpg
20201111_181438.jpg

Zyn

He looks healthy you don’t want a fat baby. Have you tried taking some of the fruits out of the meat mash they aren’t huge fruit/veggie fans till older and some never are. Also at that age you should be giving him whole food once or twice a week. An appropriately sized mouse or two.

mattboyle96

5 Year Member
He looks healthy you don’t want a fat baby. Have you tried taking some of the fruits out of the meat mash they aren’t huge fruit/veggie fans till older and some never are. Also at that age you should be giving him whole food once or twice a week. An appropriately sized mouse or two.
Any idea how he'll turn out, visual wise?

Zyn

He’s pretty close to his adult color now. He may get a little more red you can’t tell with hybrids as they may take more after one of the parents. My 75% blue 25% b/w looks nearly full blue outside of her back pattern. When crossing two localities you never know. Their habits may reflect one or both localities as well. As an example a lot of blues do not go into a full blown brumation. My blue cross takes more after the b/w in her in that she fully brumated for nearly 4 months last year. Didn’t come up once.

Last edited:

Member1421

What I started doing and do every day now is mix up his food the night before and make a small roll/log out of it and refrigerate overnight. In the morning I take it out and portion it into little mini sausages the size of pinkies or fuzzies or small balls or whatever you want to call it. I space them out evenly and let him think he is having an option with what he eats. He is finally at the point where he will eat anything. 3.5 months old and eats greens, fruits, etc. His main greens are bok choy, mustard, swiss chard, dandelion, and his fruit vary from blueberries, raspberries, mango, kiwi, etc. I have slowly added in different foods outside of fuzzies once a week. He has, chicken, beef organs/heart, whole ground rabbit, duck, hamster (ground myself, very weird and sinister), mussels, shrimp, tilapia, squid, lamb, repashy bluey diet, mazuri insectivore diet (minimal).

Your tegu looks healthy to me, though I'm no expert. Just keep at it and don't let him win the battle. If he doesn't eat one day, he'll eat the next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu