• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Phantom pesticide????

lilgonz

Hello, I'm having my house exterminated for ants and the guy is not sure if this will affect my tegus. Has anyone used this pesticide around tegus before and was there any issues. Please respond asap as he is on his way to my house now. Thanks

new2tegus

Good rule of thumb, any chemical designed to kill an insect,animal or anything else, you probably want to vacate the house of all living things. I can say it will more than likely not be good for your gu's. Don't take the risk.

Kebechet

You'll want to evacuate your animals, and completely clean the cages and replace the substrate. Pesticides can be really nasty.

lilgonz

thanks for the responses, I ended up having them not spray in the reptile room at all, better to be safe then sorry.

Kebechet

Do you let your tegus free roam at all? If so, I would wait at least a week before letting them out, outside the reptile room. Just to be safe.

lilgonz

yes they get free roam time but I keep them limited to the reptile room, or outside, so I'm thinking they should be fine.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
So, they're spraying the whole house except for the reptile room? That sounds a bit risky to not remove the animals. It's pretty incredible how sensitive they are to chemicals...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You do have to be careful because the nervous system of reptiles is very sensitive to such chemicals. This one says it is acutely toxic to terrestrial animals other than mammals (birds, etc).

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Yeah, the thing is, you might not even notice any effects right away. The symptoms could take a while to set in, and by the time they do, it'd be too late. Be careful...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu