• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Petrie killed his food, but didnt eat it?

babyyitslove

My water monitor, Petrie, killed his Hopper but didn't eat it =\

We've had him for a little over two weeks and he has slowly begun to venture out more and show interest in food (when we aren't around).
So far he has taken large crickets and eaten two hoppers.
His third Hopper met its demise, but Petrie never ate it.

Is he full? Did he just not like that one in particular? Was he interrupted? Saving it for later?

If he doesn't eat it soon, it'll be baby boa food.
Should I give him some time to see if he moves or eats it?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you saying he ate large crickets and two hoppers in one sitting, and killed a third? Why are you feeding live?

babyyitslove

Oh lord no! LOL. That's what he's eaten in the two weeks. He wont eat F/T.... that was our first approach and it didn't work. So far he has eaten two live hoppers, so we'll stick with it until he's comfortable eating in front of us. Then we'll go for the conversion.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Post some pics of the enclosure. Are your temps and humidity still the same? Have you raised the basking temp?

babyyitslove

Ill have to post pics from my husband's phone when he gets back.
Basking 130°, cool side 80°, humidity 70-80% (holds a consistent 70 still.)
We put his basking spot as a large log that sits above his water tub. He seems to enjoy it more , being able to slip down into the water after a nice bask.
Ill see if i can place the thermometer in both spots and take pictures, as well as one of the hygrometer.

So far, if I had to guess, I'd say he's eaten about 1 - 1 1/2 dozen crickets, as he just started eating This passed weekend.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Honestly eating isn't that big of a deal, getting him hydrated and setup correctly is. They can go a while without eating. If your temps and humidity are what you say, I wouldn't worry, just keep offering food and leave him alone.

babyyitslove

You know, he ate two hoppers in one week.... and he still looks kind of thin. I can't really scope out his poo, as it just disintegrates in the water tub.
Those two issues have me scratching my head.

Oh yeah, and his shed is coming off nicely now =0)
Slides right off like butter!

But I suppose my baby boa, Minko, will be a happy camper today lollol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff