• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pet Regrets

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I know we've all had at least one animal we wish we didn't get. For me it's my uromastyx. They are almost completely unhandleable and I have a scar on my knuckle form where Spike bit me. I hate them and as soon as one of them dies, the other one is getting moved out of the big 60 gallon into something smaller so I can get something better, like a ridge-tailed monitor or something. What pet regrets have you guys got?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
loved my mali uro...he was super tamed and would hop in my hand as soon as it entered the enclosure, idk if i had any reptiles i regret getting but i did regret adding tetras to a community tank i used to have because the ate all my long fin fish tails lol

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wWxpUx3nY[/video]i

BOOZER

5 Year Member
dragonmetalhead said:
I know we've all had at least one animal we wish we didn't get. For me it's my uromastyx. They are almost completely unhandleable and I have a scar on my knuckle form where Spike bit me. I hate them and as soon as one of them dies, the other one is getting moved out of the big 60 gallon into something smaller so I can get something better, like a ridge-tailed monitor or something. What pet regrets have you guys got?

i think you might want to just work with them a little more. and be patient.

just my opinion.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Haven't regretted getting any of my reptiles and i have some mean ones, my burm bites and hisses all the time! Same thing with my sav, but i know what i was getting in too and it'll take some time and work, but im all for it. Only thing i do regret is not getting a roach colony started sooner.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Any dog that I have ever bought. I have finally realized I hate dogs.

ReptiBonezXO

I regret having a goat... I had a baby Nigerian dwarf. which would be fine, if i didn't have three dogs (four at the time), two cats, and several reptiles.
he had to be watched constantly. and on top of that, he was a douche. lol

As far as reptiles go, i've never exactly regretted any, but i have had some that i don't think i'd have again.
Like I had a Blue tongue skink that i loved dearly, and apparently he was wild caught (which i did not know at the time of purchase.)
I got him from the pet store because I was the only one who he wouldn't freak out around and try to bite. I went and visited him over the span of a month to make sure he was what i wanted, and he began to recognize my smell, and rest in my arms as soon as i got him out of his cage.

I took him to the vet as soon as i saw him act abnormally. He was loaded with parasites and despite daily injections, and oral medication, he crashed in less than two weeks after his vet visit and i had to put him down. It was horrible, and i know to be more careful next time, but i was so attatched to him as an individual, i dont know that i could get another one. They hide being sick so well. I'd had him for nearly two years, and he'd always eaten, explored, been friendly, and never objected to being handled or soaked. He just crashed.

Other than that, I had a sav that i got as a feisty juvi from a guy who was "sure he'd be famous" for his monitors. (Yea right...)
Didn't want me to come to his house, but instead, shoved the sav in a ten gallon, with nothing in the bottom, and comes walking down the street in nothing but jeans, with the poor gal sliding around knocking against the glass the whole way.
Needless to say she was horrified and mean for months. Crapped like crazy, and always right after i left for work, so it sat all day under the lamps making crap soup.
However she came a long way and i loved her immensely. She was incredibly rewarding over time, but i'd wait to get another one. If nothing else but for smell alone.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
BOOZER said:
dragonmetalhead said:

i think you might want to just work with them a little more. and be patient.

just my opinion.

I've had them for 10 years; they're a lost cause. I tried so hard to socialized them when I first got them, but they never took. I think they may be wild caught. The female has no personality but freaks out whenever I pick her up (which I only do when I clean the tank) and the male is super territorial and aggressive. Like I said earlier, he likes to bite and uros have REALLY sharp teeth.
reptastic said:
loved my mali uro...he was super tamed and would hop in my hand as soon as it entered the enclosure, idk if i had any reptiles i regret getting but i did regret adding tetras to a community tank i used to have because the ate all my long fin fish tails lol

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wWxpUx3nY[/video]i

Awww, your mali is so nice. I wish mine were like that.

got10

dragonmetalhead said:

sell them to me . How much

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I think I have more regrets about animals that I shouldn't have gotten rid of. I've had some amazing boas and burms that I didn't appreciate enough because I was young and got bored with them because I wanted something new that I didn't have.

babyyitslove

I don't regret getting anything, but the ones I lost interest in the quickest were my uro and my beardie. They were super tame and sweet, but they didn't quite fit into our collection. I just recently traded them for a crested and some leopards (Whom I have breeding classes for). I loved them, but they deserved more attention than I could provide during the day. Everyone else is nocturnal with the exception of the tegus.

kellen.watkins

I had a giant day gecko a few years ago I regretted, cute as can be (looked like the geico gecko) but mean and nasty a constant pain, would dart for me when I opened the cage to feed him, gave him away to a friend couldn't stand him/her lol

Piercedcub32

The one I regret most ever getting would have to be a hedgehog! Mine bit, huffed, jabbed me with his quills. I was much younger and just HAD to have one.. Lesson learned. ;o) Second would be the mice I just bought to start breeding (for feeding) I bought them this insane cage that was like 100 bucks because I felt bad knowing that I was going to kill them and their babies someday. so I wanted them to have a good life... they don't use 3/4 of the cage and they are constantly on the squeaky wheel! LOl.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Piercedcub32 said:
The one I regret most ever getting would have to be a hedgehog! Mine bit, huffed, jabbed me with his quills. I was much younger and just HAD to have one.. Lesson learned. ;o) Second would be the mice I just bought to start breeding (for feeding) I bought them this insane cage that was like 100 bucks because I felt bad knowing that I was going to kill them and their babies someday. so I wanted them to have a good life... they don't use 3/4 of the cage and they are constantly on the squeaky wheel! LOl.

I had a room mate who had a hedgehog. They are so smelly! He cleaned out the thing's cage at least twice a day and it stank up the whole apartment.

tora

Aww, I have a hedgie and he's not stinky!
1316115983.half.ichigotora_ollie.jpg

One pet I regret getting was a sugar glider. Stinky and mean as all hell.

Piercedcub32

tora said:

LOL, don't post such cute pics ! you will make me want one again! haha. Sugar glider comment noted! cause I wanted some of those too! ;o)

and I agree, mine was never stinky either. Maybe, it was just your roommate! ;oD

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
tora said:

I have nothing against hedgehogs! Yours looks ridiculously adorable. If it's any consolation, my tegu is the foulest smelling animal I've ever had.

Dirtydmc

Only that its hard to feed 20 animals when I have 4 humans to feed and pay the bills too. My woman has a hard time keeping up with the critters while I'm gone when she has an infant and a mean ass 5 year old to watch after too.

babyyitslove

dragonmetalhead said:
tora said:

I have nothing against hedgehogs! Yours looks ridiculously adorable. If it's any consolation, my tegu is the foulest smelling animal I've ever had.
Gu poo can clear a building in record time! My female has the foulest smelling poo.... it smells like rotten death with a hint of sewage.

And dirty, I know what you mean. We have two kiddos and sometimes it gets overwhelming. Grandma takes them one night a weekend to allow us to clean cages and do laundry lollol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980