• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

People that have ended up with pet mice because their tegu didn't eat...

got10

naturboy87 said:
not a rat but funny ... the first time a fed Roxy a babby chicken she dident know what to do about it.she crused around the house with the lil chick fallowing her every wher like she was mom lol then after about 30 minuts it just clicked O its ( FOOD ) she took off after the lil thing killed the crap out of it then chomped it down and was reddy for the nexed one now that she know what it is .. live food lol was funny cute and sad all at the same time

Very cruel . shoulda whacked it first

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I usually feed F/T. I bought a baby spotted python who wasn't eating F/T pinkies. I went ahead and bought a little live one to see if he would take it. No go. It just so happened that my daughter brought home a gerbil from a friend and the gerbil had a litter. Out of curiosity, we put the mouse pinky in with the gerbil to see if she would accept it. She did, until it was weaned and then pushed it away. So we got rid of all the gerbils but kept the mouse as a pet.

Gandolf38

laurarfl said:
I usually feed F/T. I bought a baby spotted python who wasn't eating F/T pinkies. I went ahead and bought a little live one to see if he would take it. No go. It just so happened that my daughter brought home a gerbil from a friend and the gerbil had a litter. Out of curiosity, we put the mouse pinky in with the gerbil to see if she would accept it. She did, until it was weaned and then pushed it away. So we got rid of all the gerbils but kept the mouse as a pet.

That's a great story:)
roastedspleen said:
i personally hate rats because one of them bit me and the cut bled for an hour... that has made me not like rodents too much. which is why i dont care abut throwing one to pokey. i just see it as food for pokey

Understandable; I was bit by a gerbil as a kid--my dad brought it home & I reached in the box, it latched on my finger & wouldn't let go! Never liked gerbils since. When I worked at a pet store, we would use the mean gerbils & hamsters as feeders.

larissalurid

Gandolf38 said:
Dereks-Dragons said:
well i didnt rele feel bad cuz she was F/t anyway i just wasnt too sure how some people would react to that LOL

That is a pretty cool story; yeah, it's easier when they're F/T, bc I just view them as food at that point. You got your money's worth out of that one!!
dragonmetalhead said:
Dereks-Dragons said:
i dont have pet mice.. my mother isnt even thrilled about the freezer in the garage filled with hundreds of frozen rodents for all my monitors ect.. but last nigt me and my friend had a nice little discovery.. while de-frosting a XXL mouse to feed to my tegu we noticed she was releee fat... so we.. kinda sorta sliced her open :p. found about 12-15 little pinkies inside her. then fed the remains of the mother to the tegu and the little pinkies to the water dragon and the smaller of my monitors.

That's an awesome story. Everybody won (except the pinkies). Don't feel bad about slicing her open; I skin the rodents before I feed Kodo so he doesn't have to worry about fur and it's fairly easy to accidentally disembowel a rat.

You skin them? Is it difficult to do? That's a good idea; one I've definitely never heard before!
Dana C said:
That didn't happen to me with mice but it certainly did with a pair of rats. I ended up keeping them as pets. They were smart, affectionate and all in all, great pets. They both ended up dying of old age.
I originally got them as feeders. When it came time to use them, my huge boa decided that it was preshed time and ignored them. Within a week, I grew attached to them and kept them.

As a side note, I don't know people see in hamsters. Rats make much better pets.

I've kind of thought that it might be interesting to have rats as pets, since the mice make good ones! I don't know what people see in hamsters or even gerbils, too...rats & mice have better temperments and are smarter; hamsters can be mean, & have a nasty bite!!

I've had many rats and mice as pets. I don't care for hamsters much either for the exact same reason. All of my rats and mice have been sweethearts though, like tiny dogs. They loved attention and always wanted to be held and cuddle. All my rats even potty trained themselves, even as babies never going to the bathroom outside their cage unless i was outside and put them on the grass and told them to go to the bathroom. I even had my mice and rats run around my yard without running too far from me, they would just come back when i called their name and never tried to run away. :3 They are more intelligent than people think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu