• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Penny & Dollar's updates

Penny&Dollar

Hey guys what's up? Well im just posting to let everyone know my blues are doing great,eating everything in site I mean everything but eggs. Don't know why but they won't eat it, they do great outside their enclosure but trying to get them out is a different story. I have been bit tail whipped and pooped on...yes pooped on, but one their out and on their feeding bin they are excellent I mean I put my hand in their and they climb on it and all the way to my shoulders and stay on my shoulders or climb an top of my head and sleep or just poop on it lolol it was discussing cause it smelled so bad lol. They have sheeded twice and you'll see from pictures how fat they have gotten. I feed them two to three times a day depending on what they have eaten. I offer crickets dusted with calcium and vitamins and for lunch my wife will give them pinky (the larger one eats four) and for dinner like around 6 630pm I give them two wax worms or two strips of steak or fruit. I took them outside one and it was a disaster I mean they went crazy puffed up and started breathing heavily and then started bitting. Brought them back in put them in their enclosure to calm down and they stud down for a hole day. Ooh sorry I could keep going on and on but here are the pic's, once again thnx everyone and enjoy your day.

Attachments

• 20130823_165343.jpg
    20130823_165343.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • 20130823_165401.jpg
    20130823_165401.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20130823_165348.jpg
    20130823_165348.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 20130823_165343.jpg
    20130823_165343.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice job and thanks for the update - they look happy and healthy!
Sounds like you're already dealing with a lot of poop! Glad to hear they're eating everything in sight!

Penny&Dollar

Thnx josh I took them out this morning and it was still not going I left my hand inside the enclosure and nothing the would lick puff up and bite. So I took them out the hard way chased them all around till I caught them lolol but these pics are from this morning.

Attachments

• 20130828_115115.jpg
    20130828_115115.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20130828_115220.jpg
    20130828_115220.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20130828_115105.jpg
    20130828_115105.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20130828_115304.jpg
    20130828_115304.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

Steven.

Beautiful blues. Makes me miss my little guys. As for the puffing and biting. I would just let them chill for awhile. Put your hands in the enclosure when you can and move some things around, mess with the substrate, spot clean etc. Dont touch them or come close to them, just let them see that your not going after them, this way their good with your hands being in the cage. Then you can take it from there. I know the one thing that worked like magic for me was the t-shirt trick. I removed all hides except the t-shirt. I noticed improvement in a day or two. It was a complete flip in attitude. You gotta remember, these little one are new to the world and they'll be with you for a decade plus some. You got more than enough time for them to get to know you. Its all about your scent, once they know your scent as something safe, you'll have some dogs insteads of tegus lol

Penny&Dollar

Well I do leave my hand in the enclosure penny will smell my hand the climb on it but once dollar starts to tail whip bite for some reason she starts the same behavior and starts to bite as well. But I will do the shirt trick today ill take all three hides out and just leave a shirt in their. Thnx steven

KSTAR

5 Year Member
My blue is the same way...well everyone that's got blues this year so far that I've spoke to or seen post on the forums have the same problems...they're ballistic in the cages but outside they're fine...I think they just need more time to calm down although this is the first time I've ever had a fussy little guy be like that for this long so far usually ill work with them and it'll last just about a week or so but these guys are going for the long-haul lol

Penny&Dollar

Whats up kstar? Its been over a month since I got them from UG and they are I mean the sweetest reptiles when their out of the enclosure but in the enclosure they behavior is like that of chucky and killer croc lol I took out all three hide and put a shirt that I had on in there lets see if they calm down in two days or so I mean for the love of my hand and fingers lol but I'll keep posting every chance I get.

Penny&Dollar

Okay so today I decided to leave my arm in the enclosure and act like I was asleep and closed my eyes and then wham my pinky got bitten and I played it off like I didn't feel it and then like 3 minutes later wham again and I felt the the blood coming out never again. Quick question how many times is a tegu suppose to shed penny is shedding again but I've noticed they shed different from my blk/wht's do theirs start from the tail up is this normal

Attachments

• 20130830_095727.jpg
    20130830_095727.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20130830_095708.jpg
    20130830_095708.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20130830_093322.jpg
    20130830_093322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20130830_095727.jpg
    20130830_095727.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

KSTAR

5 Year Member
@Penny&Dollar What's up Bud....Ok so I've noticed that they're very VERY skittish inside they're cages but outside they're great although sometimes Wapo does try his limits and takes the inch I give him and turns it into a foot and would try to bolt off at times...but for the most part he's great...I stopped feeding him/her in the cage and started feeding outside the cage to prevent impaction from bedding and just cause its what I've always done with all my reptiles...and it also prevents them from thinking anything weird looking to them is food! Which is probably why they nipped ya not once but twice...Wapo doesn't bite my hand when its inside his cage he might huff and puff as I move it closer to him and he will walk by all hunched up and pissy but he won't bite and he might dart across the cage back and fourth until I can get my hand under him very slowly and lightly scoop him up and out of the cage...and then ill feed him and spend time with him and later on put him back in and he will maybe walk around and bask and then go down later on....I leave my hand in there at times to show him my hand isn't a threat but he/she just doesn't seem to care hahaha....he still acts the same way! So I'm just gonna have to be more patient and try a bit more but I pick and choose my battles Aswell cause if I see he starting to become stressed out I won't push it ill let him be...tomorrow is another day...so I just make sure as I'm doing this I pay attention to his body language to make sure what I want to go good is actually going bad..

Penny&Dollar

@KSTAR I know what your saying trust me cause my blue do this thing with their tail like moving it like a snake and then go for the kill(bite really) and I started seeing that behavior maybe last 2 weeks so I understand their body language and read it well but penny never bite me before she just does everything dollar does if dollar bolts so does she now when I walk in the am and if she is out basking by herself I 0ut my hand in their she will puff up and lick then if test bite(doesn't hurt) and the she will climb to my hand and I can leave her on my shoulder or lap all day long or till its time to pick up the kids. Know I come back try to take her out but if dollars out she turn into him. He is a handful I think im just gonna stop feeding only time they will eat if they come to my hand. I tried this today and it work with penny she smelled the food and wanted out but dollar didnt care.what I did was I stuck my hand inside the enclosure and small bin (10gallon) on my lap with liver for breakfast cause the smell is loud and she kept looking for it found it then climb up my arm then I took my hand out and placed her in the bin she ate like pig gave her a bath watched morry anr put her back in and that worked extremely well cause dollar was looking but evertime he saw he har to climb on my hand he wouldn't but he did jump from the enclosure into the bin ate and he was calm so I guess your right we just have to give them time to realize we aren't a threat well I got 20 years to wait so lets she how long he has lolololol

KSTAR

5 Year Member
@Penny&Dollar That's great I mean whatever works just keep doing that and yea the little tail dance is what I call it...that means BACK OFF NOW LOL....but i was thinking if I show mine that I'm taking him out to feed him maybe he won't react crazy and just come to me cause he's hungry and over time he will learn I'm not a threat and become very calm in his enclosure...

Penny&Dollar

Well today I decided to move penny & Dollar up to fuzzy crawlers cause they were eating up to 7 pinky each. so I went to my local reptile shop and picked up six fuzzy crawlers, and I thought they were to big but I was wrong they eat two each. And their belly are stuffed, wow I cant believe how much they are eating and how fast they are growing. Here's a pic of both my gu's, they enclosure I didn't built bought it on Craigslist hold humidity extremely well.

Attachments

• 1379515517368.jpg
    1379515517368.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 1379515719060.jpg
    1379515719060.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 1379515778467.jpg
    1379515778467.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 1379515905430.jpg
    1379515905430.jpg