• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Peat moss for bedding?

Pickle

I'm ready to set up my little lady with her new house..is it ok to use peat moss as bedding? I'm thinking yes? If she was outside she would be in dirt and leaves ect...

Waters

As Griffin stated...I would mix it with something else (top soil works very well). If not, it becomes very dusty as soon as it dries out.

nightanole

Im having good luck with 50/50 peatmoss and topsoil. I did run into a problem because i added a 3rd 50 of peat humus before i realized that bagged peat humus is not real peat humus. bagged is just not very well composted peat moss+manur+mulch. So now i have sticks and poop and clay mixed in with my moss/top soil...

If you have a local place, very well done compost mixed with the peat moss is also a good idea, and some keeper just use 100% organic compost. If you think about it, peat moss is just composted sphagnum moss.

James Smith

I have just went to this mixture, however I have a little more Peat Moss than topsoil, and it works great. I am a gardener as well and it is the same basic mixed I use in my raised garden beds. You really do not have any issues with mold. I use a fogger and spray it down good once a day to keep up the humidity.

I was wondering could I do the same thing with my raised garden bed and add giant earth worms to the mixture?By doing so will enrich the soil and give BOGA something to hunt for...

Waters

I have just went to this mixture, however I have a little more Peat Moss than topsoil, and it works great. I am a gardener as well and it is the same basic mixed I use in my raised garden beds. You really do not have any issues with mold. I use a fogger and spray it down good once a day to keep up the humidity.

I was wondering could I do the same thing with my raised garden bed and add giant earth worms to the mixture?By doing so will enrich the soil and give BOGA something to hunt for...
I am the same way....started thinking I would go with a 50/50 mix, but ended up using much more Peat Moss. I liked the texture much better than a ton of topsoil.

James Smith

The main reason for not having to much top soil is the mainly because of the enclosure's function. If there is to much topsoil it would become cakey and too dense. The Peat moss makes it airy therefore plants and Tegus will thrive better. This my theory anyway. My garden loves it lol.

Guman

Does anyone know about Repti Prime (old Midwest Organics) coconut husk? My husband is concerned about nats and other bugs.

James Smith

I do not know about that substrate you're talking about, but I made a decision for my Tegu. I am not going to use a substrate that is prone to mold. That would include any substate that has a majority of wood in it. Some small amount of wood is fine but a large amount would not make it in his enclosure.

Waters

Does anyone know about Repti Prime (old Midwest Organics) coconut husk? My husband is concerned about nats and other bugs.
I have come to the realization that there is no substrate that does not have bugs in it. I have used mulch, topsoil, peat moss, as well as pre-packaged substrates meant for reptiles. I always ended up with small bugs. I had topsoil bags frozen, outside all winter.....didn't matter lol.

James Smith

Now it makes sense to me. BOGA has been foraging at the base of his waterfall eating something he digs up. I can't see or I haven't seen any bugs but it's one of those things he just does now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980