• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outdoor enclosure

ThePHX

5 Year Member
last week me and my uncle built an outdoor enclosure. And i really didnt have in mind what i was gonna put in it, but i was thinkin would i be able to use it when i get my tegu?

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

i just put the plant in there today...its not permenant by any means

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
If you lay it on its side it would workf or a baby tegu for about the first 9 months or so for an out door enclosure of course youll need substrate, hides, light etc

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I would change the bottom so that the tegu is not just sitting on wire. I don't know what the temps are in TX, but make sure that your tegu can handle them before housing outside.

AB^

5 Year Member
Yea,

I would flip it on its side and replace the wire with wood for a more secure bottom that will hold substrate. I'd prob throw some catsers on it too.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
Yeah, i noticed that after i took the picture. Lol i would be a pretty bad reptile owner if i just left that wire as the substrate eh? I treat all my reptiles better than i treat myself :D The humidity in houston is always rather on the higher side from 60%-100% expecially during the summer which iss may - october/sept

Month AvLow AvHigh AvPrecip Record Low Record High
January 45Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 63Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 4.25 in 10Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1949) 85Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1972)
February 48Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 67Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 3.01 in 14Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1951) 87Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1986)
March 55Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 74Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 3.19 in 22Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1943) 96Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1946)
April 61Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 79Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 3.46 in 22Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1995) 94Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1948)
May 68Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 86Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 5.11 in 44Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1978) 100Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1998)
June 74Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 91Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 6.84 in 56Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1984) 101Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1998)
July 75Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 94Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 4.36 in 64Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1967) 104Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1954)
August 75Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 93Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 4.54 in 64Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1967) 106Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1962)
Sept 72Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 89Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 5.62 in 50Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1967) 108Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (2000)
October 62Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 82Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 5.26 in 33Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1993) 96Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1962)
Nov 53Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 72Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 4.54 in 25Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1976) 90Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1973)
Dec 47Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 65Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° 3.78 in 9Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1989) 84Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?° (1995

i do not think ive hit the space bar as many times i have right there trying to make the table look nice...

redtail2426

5 Year Member
He might also get nose rub on the wire mesh on the sides. my tegu loves to rub and bump and push on his glass front doors and if they were wire he would definately have some nose rub.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
Hmm, cause my BDs have the same problem in glass, but in their mesh cage they just climb up the sides. That mesh cantttt feel good on the nose. What else could i use for a tegu outside besides wire?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ThePHX said:
Hmm, cause my BDs have the same problem in glass, but in their mesh cage they just climb up the sides. That mesh cantttt feel good on the nose. What else could i use for a tegu outside besides wire?

I use plywood, that way tegus won't rub noses and animals cannot see in as well. The bottom is fine, just make sure you have a deep substrate in there.

Enclosure23.jpg

ThePHX

5 Year Member
definately has the green, pressure treated hint to it.. Should i build my own burrows for the tegu with pvc pipes? Or let him make his own tunnels?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ThePHX said:
definately has the green, pressure treated hint to it.. Should i build my own burrows for the tegu with pvc pipes? Or let him make his own tunnels?

Yes it is, anything that goes underground need to be pressure treated.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
There is wire, then soil, then cypress mulch and on top is fine hay.

I didn't realize that your enclosures had different levels of substrates...I always thought that they were just plain dirt with borders underground so they can't dig out....coolies!
I should know better than to think something like that XD

ThePHX

5 Year Member
lol, didnt think the tegus had a raised plywood floor :p The only thing im wondering is if i flip the tank, would there be enough room to provide adequate substrate for tunneling and etc?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ThePHX said:
lol, didnt think the tegus had a raised plywood floor :p The only thing im wondering is if i flip the tank, would there be enough room to provide adequate substrate for tunneling and etc?

You could cut out one side, add a box of plywood 2ft tall, and then re-attach the side/bottom. That was it would be on it's side and have plywood 2ft up, and then wire to the top, as well as a wire bottom.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
ThePHX said:

You could cut out one side, add a box of plywood 2ft tall, and then re-attach the side/bottom. That was it would be on it's side and have plywood 2ft up, and then wire to the top, as well as a wire bottom.

Nice, man! That sounds like a cool idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.