• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outdoor enclosure in CA

Hi there, no i meant 5 years. Its more like 4 years(i cant remember exactly when i got her) Ill post a pic. I currently have a misting system in her current enclosure. Its okay for the size of the current one but with the more extensions you add to it the less powerful the mist is. So i have read and seen some big outdoor ones with a hookup to the water line and some overhead pipes for misting. The clear container with the black top is the misting system.

Oh, I'm sorry I misread your post. It sounded like you just got her and this was your first upgrade. My mistake.
I was having the same problem with my misting system. The more I added the weaker the spray.
I'm thinking of doing an 8'x8'x6' with plywood and chicken wire. I was going to use cypress mulch, eco earth, and lawn/grass clippings for the substrate.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, I'm sorry I misread your post. It sounded like you just got her and this was your first upgrade. My mistake.
I was having the same problem with my misting system. The more I added the weaker the spray.
I'm thinking of doing an 8'x8'x6' with plywood and chicken wire. I was going to use cypress mulch, eco earth, and lawn/grass clippings for the substrate.
Chicken wire will cut flesh.

Jake lerch

This for an outdoor enclosure? Your thinking this will maintain humidity? Ive read it needs to be around 70%. Or are you also doing a hide box? The other thing im concerned with for outdoors is the wood rotting. Thats why im looking into pressure treated wood.

Hi there, no i meant 5 years. Its more like 4 years(i cant remember exactly when i got her) Ill post a pic. I currently have a misting system in her current enclosure. Its okay for the size of the current one but with the more extensions you add to it the less powerful the mist is. So i have read and seen some big outdoor ones with a hookup to the water line and some overhead pipes for misting. The clear container with the black top is the misting system.
I just felt like adding

I notice you've got a zoo med timer switch plugged in there. That's great, timer switches are a life saver, and zoo med is awesome and ill trust them with just about anything.
But ive come to find their timer switches are unnecessarily finicky, and I grew to really dislike them. Theyre huge, twice the size they need to be because of how theyre designed. They ridiculously overpriced, as well as the timer wheel spinning too easy with little force, meaning it can be bumped and adjust your timing accidentally.
One piece of advice that took me too long to realize. Timer switches are everywhere. You can find a basic one for $5 at home depot. I managed to find one for $3 at walmart. Just food for thought, in case you ever need to buy another haha. I wish i could have gotten generic ones from the start lol.
[/EndRant]

Jake lerch

I just felt like adding

I notice you've got a zoo med timer switch plugged in there. That's great, timer switches are a life saver, and zoo med is awesome and ill trust them with just about anything.
But ive come to find their timer switches are unnecessarily finicky, and I grew to really dislike them. Theyre huge, twice the size they need to be because of how theyre designed. They ridiculously overpriced, as well as the timer wheel spinning too easy with little force, meaning it can be bumped and adjust your timing accidentally.
One piece of advice that took me too long to realize. Timer switches are everywhere. You can find a basic one for $5 at home depot. I managed to find one for $3 at walmart. Just food for thought, in case you ever need to buy another haha. I wish i could have gotten generic ones from the start lol.
[/EndRant]
Totally agree. I had a generic digital one. It stopped working. I picked this one up out of convineince as i was at petsmart. They are way too big. It has changed my settings before with that sensitive wheel. I wont buy it again. And will probably change it when she gets her new outdoor enclosure. Thanks for the comment!

Yeah it bothers me that they put the outlet on the face of it, because if they put it on the side like every other timer switch, the entire top half of it could be eliminated.

This for an outdoor enclosure? Your thinking this will maintain humidity? Ive read it needs to be around 70%. Or are you also doing a hide box? The other thing im concerned with for outdoors is the wood rotting. Thats why im looking into pressure treated wood.

Yes an outdoor enclosure. I will piping in a sprinkler system from the sprinklers that water the grass and there will be a 15gal hide box so humidity shouldn't be an issue. As of now I'm thinking of using drylock and silicone to keep things waterproof, however, I may using metal siding instead. Pressure treated wood is a good idea as well though. I'm trying to keep costs to somewhat of a minimum by using stuff I have around the house. I will be creating a build diary in the forum once I get started.

Jake lerch

Yes an outdoor enclosure. I will piping in a sprinkler system from the sprinklers that water the grass and there will be a 15gal hide box so humidity shouldn't be an issue. As of now I'm thinking of using drylock and silicone to keep things waterproof, however, I may using metal siding instead. Pressure treated wood is a good idea as well though. I'm trying to keep costs to somewhat of a minimum by using stuff I have around the house. I will be creating a build diary in the forum once I get started.
Im thinking the same thing with the metal siding. When do you plan on getting this done?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980