• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Our First Tegu

CMock

This Morning at 9am Im Getting My Fist Tego, Comming from Underground Reptile in Fla. Any Advice on Getting Started With Him ??
CMock said:
This Morning at 9am Im Getting My Fist Tego, Comming from Underground Reptile in Fla. Any Advice on Getting Started With Him ?? He is a Yearling Argentine B/W

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as you have his enclosure set up correctly, just put him in the cage and let him be few a week or two.

Steven.

Congrats on the the tegu. i agree with mr. james.. just let him chill for a bit in the cage. Handling him too early could stress him out..

jdpFL

I agree on the handling. But if it were me, I'd offer food anyway. Won't hurt to put some down and see if he eats. We always offer our reptiles food the minute we get them home, as if to tell them "welcome! You are going to LOVE it here...five star accommodations, and the food is great!" Lol. Don't be alarmed though, if your tegu doesn't eat at first. Shipping or transport is very stressful for them. Some will eat right away, some won't. We hand fed ours chunks of fruit thru the bars of the cat carrier in the car on the way home, and he ate it! You just never can tell. But if you at least offer, they have the choice of eating if they want to!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess I should expand a bit on my reply, I would offer food as well, the first day and every day. Make sure to spot clean and provide fresh water daily or at least every other day. As far as handling, I would let him settle in for a couple weeks until attempting to handle.

CMock

james.w said:
As long as you have his enclosure set up correctly, just put him in the cage and let him be few a week or two.

Thank You For The Info , I Actually Got him out of the Bag and He Climmbed into my Arms and Laid the For About 30 Mins Just Chilling.
I Tried to feed Him a Pinky Mouse and He Wanted Nothing to do With It !! Thanks Again, I Will Let Him Relax Before I Touch Him again.

CMock

Steven. said:
Congrats on the the tegu. i agree with mr. james.. just let him chill for a bit in the cage. Handling him too early could stress him out..

My Question is The Owner of Underground Reptiles Handeled Him Constantly, Does That Make a Differance as far as Me Waiting a Week or Two ??
james.w said:
Did you get one of the hybrids or a black and white?

Argentine B n W

CMock said:
This Morning at 9am Im Getting My Fist Tego, Comming from Underground Reptile in Fla. Any Advice on Getting Started With Him ??
CMock said:
This Morning at 9am Im Getting My Fist Tego, Comming from Underground Reptile in Fla. Any Advice on Getting Started With Him ?? He is a Yearling Argentine B/W

if u r looking to order a reptile online i recommend Underground Reptiles
CMock said:
CMock said:

if u r looking to order a reptile online i recommend Underground Reptiles

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes it will still make a difference as the shipping and new home process can be stressful for them. Mainly they need to get acclimated to their home so they know it is a safe place.

CMock

james.w said:
Yes it will still make a difference as the shipping and new home process can be stressful for them. Mainly they need to get acclimated to their home so they know it is a safe place.

So As Far as Feeding Do I Just Put a Plate of Food in His Cage ?
Some Ground Turkey,Couple Pinky Mice and Fruit ??
What Do You Suggest ? Thank You So Much For Your Help .

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you don't need to chase him around the enclosure you can take him out for feedings if you'd like. If he bolts I'd suggest puting the food in the cage vs chasing him. I would do ground turkey with fruit or pinkies, you can try all of them but I don't think it would eat it all at once because of its size. Since its the first day with you, I would not be surprised if it refused food the first day or two.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is what I would do. He may not touch the fruit, make sure to add calcium to those foods.

CMock

james.w said:
That is what I would do. He may not touch the fruit, make sure to add calcium to those foods.

I Have Calcium, I Got Him Out Once Earlier and as Soon As I Opend the Front Door He Poked His Head Up from his Hide and Walked Right Towards Me. Seems Extremely Mellow and Loving.
Once Again Thanks For Your Input, Your a Good Dude !

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If he is that curious, go ahead and handle him. As long as he isn't running and you don't have to chase him or take him from his hide it probably won't hurt.

What calcium are you using?

CMock

james.w said:
If he is that curious, go ahead and handle him. As long as he isn't running and you don't have to chase him or take him from his hide it probably won't hurt.

What calcium are you using?

Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 (Ultra Fine Powder)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You may want to get some calcium w/o D3. They can overdose on D3.

Here is a link on how to post pics.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=5488&highlight=tutorial#axzz1XtYpEo9O

CMock

james.w said:
You may want to get some calcium w/o D3. They can overdose on D3.

Here is a link on how to post pics.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=5488&highlight=tutorial#axzz1XtYpEo9O

Just Regular Calcium W/O D3 ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980