1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Oreos new enclosure

Discussion in 'Tegu Enclosures' started by VenusAndSaturn, Jul 12, 2018.

1. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Active Member

She finally has her new enclosure... Although not really what I planned It appears to work great so far and she seems happy.
    After several attempts to go and get the supplies for a wooden enclosure, I figured might as well see if I can house her in something larger for a bit until we can get everything together and build it.

Well during this process of finding a temporary enclosure I stumbled across grow tents, looked at a few sizes after researching as much as I could about them being used as a lizard enclosure and then saw that there was a grow tent that was basically the perfect size, 8x4x6.
    After doing more research and talking to my parents I decided to get it.

So far we've had it up for a day and a half. It seems to hold the temps and humidity pretty well.
    It's not the prettiest thing but it works and I like it, although there is still much more that needs to be done.
    Not being able to really see her unless I open the doors sucks but I plan to get some sort of camera that I can put in the corner of the tent so that I can watch her.

Other than adding a camera inside the tent I'm going to get a 46" Arcadia 14% UVB bulb and hang it inside on the cool side, possibly some large ferns, more logs, a larger water bowl so she can also soak if she wants, and maybe a humidifier if I need one.
    Also going to be rearranging the basking lights today (which consist of two halogen bulbs and a megaray).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also heres a link to a video of her exploring the enclosure.
  2. Gary

Gary Member

Looks great! Do the walls feel durable enough to prevent Oreo from clawing through over the course of weeks? Love all the rocks and logs!
  3. VenusAndSaturn

I'd say probably so. I mean it feels pretty durable and so far even though she has clawed at the walls and even at the vents she hasn't really done any damage to it. Time will tell if it does really hold up though.
    Gary likes this.
  4. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Interesting idea for enclosure. Let us know how it holds up in the long term.
  5. VenusAndSaturn

Definitely will. So far all is good...except the hostas. I thought they may be able to withstand her but I was wrong.