• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

One Basic Question

EdwardtheTegu

5 Year Member
I have been looking, but can't seem to find a clear answer to one question I have... Are tegus happy living alone? I know my leopard gecko is far happier with just human company, but tegus seem a lot different personality wise. Will my tegu live a happy life with just me for company? :shock:

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus can be happy either way; they have no problem living alone or with another cage mate. :)

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Well I know that a little Argentine I used to have preffered to be totally alone with no contact whatsoever. The red I had wasn't too fond of other Tegu's but she liked to be held and petted and stuff like that. And the Chacoan and Black and White that I have right now I think actualy preffer each other's company. So I think it all just depends on the Tegu

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I definitely agree on the individuality thing....I have a pair of yearlings who live together and are doing just fine as long as they don't eat together. Then I have a 5yo B/W that I am quite certain would beat the snot out of any tegu who was in her enclosure, LOL. She is very territorial, but sweet outside of her cage. I also have a 4-5 yo Colombian who seems a bit territorial and probably wouldn't appreciate a roommate unless the enclosure was much larger.

I would think that a lot of it would depend on the natural social behavior of tegus in the wild...something I know very little about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.