• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

# of dubia

artist

5 Year Member
hey!
ok, so i found some roaches at Aaron Pauling.com, and he is having a sale
(1000 for $149+12.00 shipping)
is this a good deal?
thanks

artist

5 Year Member
oh, but they are kinda small. they are 1/4 inch...
DARN i thought that they were larger!!!

here is his web site:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aaronpauling.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aaronpauling.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->

Jefroka

5 Year Member
That is one heck of a deal but you will need to be patient while they grow.

Make sure heat levels and humidity are correct. I mist mine at least once a day.

I feed them ground dog food and fish flakes. They also like bananas and go crazy for zucchini.

A thousand is a good many, but it would be an even better deal if you knew you were getting some males in the bunch as well. Ask the supplier about this.

With a thousand you have lots of feeders but with mostly females and some males you will have a sustainable, breeding colony.

...Jefroka

Beasty

5 Year Member
If you have the cash and 3-4 months it's not a bad deal. If you don't have quite so much cash but have the time $50+ worth of breeder size roaches might yield you decent results. In the long run, either way will take time to have feeders to feed off. You'll want to hold off feeding heavily out of your colony until you have several hundred of various sizes.
Research it.
I have dubias and hissers. I started with roughly 100 mixed size dubias and added another 50 adults a few weeks later. These were left to breed for 3-4 months then I pulled off excess males to increase the ratio to 1.1 as I tend to get more males. I have been feeding sparingly out of them for several months now and have at least 800+ of mixed sizes. It's been since last fall I think and I've fed at least 200+ out of them as we go along. I haven't bought crickets since Thanksgiving.
Within a month of getting dubias I got 7 hissers in a medium critter keeper which I really haven't tried much at but never fed any out of. (they came with a lizard I bought) There's around 75-100 mostly breeder size in there now but I think they've been eating the babies. They're crowded in there but I'm about to set up a screen top tub and get serious about them.

artist

5 Year Member
ok, thanks A LOT!!!- that REALLY helps. i will definitely contact the breeder and talk to him about the males.

Beasty

5 Year Member
:chin Umm...with 1000 bugs you're GOING to get both sexes for certain, no getting around it. And males are the first to be fed off from my colonies as they don't have the babies and one male per 3 females is a great ratio.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
I should start a colony.... I should have taken the offer when my dads friend offered me his for free two years ago :doh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214