• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Odd Wild tegus in South America.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here are some wild tegus.

59826890_c3554dcb29.jpg

553132497_aababfedbd.jpg

73733962.vbPZykQ9.jpg

362817294_4b82e32430.jpg

Oddtegu.jpg

52150188.lagarto3_site.jpg

grossteju79.jpg

Tegu2.jpg

52150187.lagarto2_site.jpg

304481150_1206e8750a.jpg

Tegu4.jpg

DuseniJPG.jpg

greentriple

5 Year Member
What an amazing variation in color, pattern and size. It's clear we are only touching the tip of the possible iceberg when it comes to variety in appearance.

What's also interesting is the flora and earth around these guys. Not a whole lot of "tropical plants" or humidity.

Has anyone been to the "natural" home of the tegu, and explored the range and climate?

Some more information on them:

"CaracterÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?­sticas generales: Habitan la tierra abierta, generalmente cubierta de largos pastizales. Su hÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¡bitat natural lo representan tanto las pampas abiertas hasta zonas selvÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¡ticas, ya que son animales muy adaptables. Son reptiles terrestres pero nadan, trepan y excavan. Poseen lengua bÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?­fida. Soportan muy bien el clima y sus variaciones. Son lagartos muy inteligentes y bastante resistentes a los cambios."

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
greentriple said:
What an amazing variation in color, pattern and size. It's clear we are only touching the tip of the possible iceberg when it comes to variety in appearance.

What's also interesting is the flora and earth around these guys. Not a whole lot of "tropical plants" or humidity.

Has anyone been to the "natural" home of the tegu, and explored the range and climate?

Yes they vary quite a bit in nature, however, the humidity is at about 90%, and rainfall is very heavy there. Also many of these pictures are taken in the open, but Bert went down there, he told me a bunch of the habitat is very thick and very hard to explore.

greentriple

5 Year Member
Bobby,

I love these wild tegu shots. These are some beautiful animals. It would be great to find a way to create such a variety in the domestic stock. I really like the varieties of reds, yellows and browns simply beautiful.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know what you mean, the fourth from the top with the red eye eating the quail is just awesome, it is a must have animal, lol. :shock: :)

greentriple

5 Year Member
I agree, that is the most perfect of the batch. The light tan matching the birds colors is simply stunning. It has such a gentle face yet it is eating a bird.

Or the one third from the bottom in the first group of pics., it's scales look almost like feathers.

COWHER

5 Year Member
I love that the more and more i learn about these animals the more and more i love them the guys are beautiful! maybe one day because of our efforts some of these animals will have a large captive population and potentially saving them from extinction..

greentriple

5 Year Member
What's also way cool is that based on our own tastes different colorations appeal to each of us.

As long as their skin is in demand they are in danger.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, those are gorgeous. I guess we'll have to be content with reds, blues, black and whites, and chacoans for now. The first and second pic are my favorites.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
greentriple said:
Wow, since you put it that way, we should be happy.

Haha yeah, we should, but of course, deep down inside we all want more than just 6 or so species. :lol: :wink:

joshandjack

5 Year Member
these photos are nothing short of amazing. after looking at all the different variations and patterns, it is apparent that the pet trade is limited, and we know very little about wild tegus. from looking at the photos, i get a better idea of why some might argue that the blue tegu is just a morph of t. Marianae. These photos are awesome, if anyone finds more, i would love to see them.

olympus

5 Year Member
The colors on those tegus are impressive. The dark browns are a great look on a tegu. I guess those are the hardcore examples of tegus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980