• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Odd Head Bobbing Behavior This Morning

carcharios

5 Year Member
About an hour ago, I saw Frieda with her head held almost vertical, doing these jerky movements back and forth and flicking her tongue out rapidly. She was doing this at the same time that Kimo, my new male was making his way towards her.

Nothing ever transpired between the two as he stopped short, but I was wondering if anyone else has witnessed this behavior. And for the record, I THINK Frieda is a female based on her head size, lack of jowls, etc. but I can't be positive. They haven't been fighting from what I can tell and both share the same hide every evening. Any thoughts on this behavior?

Pikey

5 Year Member
sounds like matting behavior
(Penny my red female does it when Jonesy my B&W male starts his huffing when he tries to mate)

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I haven't seen that before. It would be great if you all could make a video of this.

bruce bull. Your Tegu Leonidas did you get him from Richard ? If yes could you please post some new pictures of him ? Thank you and sorry everyone for changing the subject.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Well, they were doing it again this morning. When Kimo made his way towards Frieda, she started with the head up in the air routine and head jerks side-to-side with the tongue flicking routine mixed in. He got close to her but they didn't copulate. Eventually it calmed down and that was end of it. I also noticed that he was huffing because even though I was about 20 feet away, I could see his jowls contracting rapidly. I'll try to capture it on video one of these days but of course, that would entail learning how to upload videos...

bruce bull

5 Year Member
txrepgirl said:
I haven't seen that before. It would be great if you all could make a video of this.

bruce bull. Your Tegu Leonidas did you get him from Richard ? If yes could you please post some new pictures of him ? Thank you and sorry everyone for changing the subject.

Txrepgirl yes this is Richards Leonidas hes all grown up now. Go to you tube and type in " tegu tale of the tape" I've posed a short video of him there. Hope you enjoy it, Bruce

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All submissive tegus will do this, they will also point their snout to the sky, this really has nothing to do with breeding, and it is a show of submission to the dominant animal.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Well, I watched them a little more about an hour after I posted and Kimo kept slowly pursuing Frieda. Eventually, he managed to get her in her hide and from what I could see, they mated. He was on top of her and both their heads were lined up and you could see his jowls moving in and out quite rapidly.

Also, would a male tegu mount another male tegu? I'm almost 100% positive that Frieda is a she but I can't say for certain because she's smaller than Kimo and if she were a he, perhaps her jowls didn't come out yet. Just curious.

bruce bull

5 Year Member
thanks Bobby with only my two tegus to observe some times my conclusions are off the mark . I appreciate you sharing what you have observed it helps give the rest of us a chance to hear about tegus from some one with a much bigger picture.
Every day I learn something is a good day!
Bruce

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu